CoinPeople.com

Most you've ever sold a coin for

thedeadpoint

This great topic was bumped a few weeks ago: How much is the most you paid for a coin?

Some folks mentioned how much their coin had appreciated. In another thread folks talk about their biggest bargains, too. Well, this one takes it a step further - how much is the most you've ever sold a coin for?

I'll go first:

Nothing. I've never sold a coin. Most of my collection is a few series - the coins I acquire are meant for these series and I don't plan on giving up any of them.

I've sold my entire collection a number of times in my life -- never totally willingly and never totally unwillingly -- but for the better purposes that come along.

The most that I've ever sold a single coin for was $1635.00 for a 1907 St Gaudens. It was an MS62/63 coin. Nothing special and I sold it pretty much for gold value.

Most I've ever sold a single coin (non-~bullion and from my own collection) for was just over $200 for a raw AU 1907 $2.5 US gold piece a number of years ago when I was still a newbie. Needed the money for some new purchases. Coincidentally, it was also the piece I took the largest % haircut on (approx $70 loss).

I did line up a quick buy and sell of an NGC MS-62 common date gold double eagle a while back for $1850, but that is borderline bullion- though at the time they were hot with high premiums. I never really considered it part of my own collection.

Thinking about it. Add selling bank roll found kennedy halves but that money never saw my pocket. Went straight toward the purchase of a coin. But I guess it was a sale so highest I ever sold a coin for was silver price.

My story is similar to others. I have never actually sold a coin. I have, a couple of times, sold some coins that were not in my collection for their silver value.

I read an article recently that suggested it is a good idea to sell some coins once in a while, just to be familiar with how much you can really expect to get out of them. And, I do have a lot of extras I would be willing to sell. So, soon I will give that a try.

I sell foreign coins. But usually just for spot. I know I said earlier I don't sell but I don't consider foreign coins part of my collection. I did how ever get a hold of a small collection of tax tokens. There are some dupes in there and I might sell a few on here before they go on the bay

• 3 weeks later...

I buy and sell a fair amount because I like lots of coins and don't have the money to match my taste. I just sold a very nice Athens tet at our club for $900. I think the highest was probably a Julius Caesar portrait coin but that was a mistake in terms of how much more they've gone up since.

I'm thinking that I'll do a fair amount of selling this year. I'm thinking of reducing my collection to my "main focus" areas.

I'm thinking that I'll do a fair amount of selling this year. I'm thinking of reducing my collection to my "main focus" areas.

Please share your journey!

I've bought and sold a few gold coins along the way since I started buying more of the yellow metal back in 2004/5. These were mostly Swiss 20 Fr. Vreneli and Helvetia series which I bought purely for the metal value. Every time I sold one or more of those, it was to finance a purchase of some more or less scarce Russian material.

I distinctly remember selling a 2008 USA business strike gold Buffalo 1 oz. gold coin about 2 years ago so that I could pay for a 1908 Russian 50 kopeck coin. In retrospect, the "right" thing to do!

Archived