CoinPeople.com

Ruminations on Price Breaks

jlueke

One look at a price guide in mint state grades and my mind quickly loops itself into overdrive. In MS63 this coin is $500, in MS64 $1000, and in MS65 $8000? This fact would make sense to me if grades were absolute and unquestioned standards. This would allow the equation to be reduced to simple supply and demand. However, a visit to the third party graders own web sites will reveal that grading is subjective and variance of a point or two is to be expected. This is confirmed in the ANA’s wonderful grading guide and from countless anecdotes from 1986 to the present. In 1994 Scott Travers wrote a column detailing this that can still be seen on the PCGS site. So if these grades are subjective why would anyone pay an extra $7000 for the MS65, why not just find a MS64 with eye appeal?

The above illustrates my thought process on the price break. That sudden chasm in price separating two grades that can be found in virtually every US series. Lately I’ve been examining why this facet of collecting strikes a chord; the obvious answer is that I simply do not understand the concept in, I could not see myself paying that extra $7000 even if I had it to spend. Or would I? I now believe what I have objected to is simply paying the huge premium for coins based simply on the label. I would pay four times standard retail for the right Sasanian drachm, so why not for a US coin?

My actual objection or confusion is based on an assumption that there are people who spend too much for coins and grades they do not understand. If you are a Seated Dollar connoisseur and you’ve seen all 12 MS65 dollars from a year the premium may seem like a bargain. If you just want a coin that says MS65 for vanity or for registry, that is your business but that is the action I still don’t understand.

What do you think about price breaks and the people who buy at the high end?

A lot of the spending I've seen for the higher grade coins are by folks who want to win the registry set game. The competition (mostly originated and stimulated by the TPG's) is fierce.

It is beyond my comprehension why anyone would pay such huge prices, especially for "modern" coins, but "to each his or her own" I guess.

It is beyond my comprehension why anyone would pay such huge prices, especially for "modern" coins, but "to each his or her own" I guess.

The modern's is another aspect. MS69 or MS70? The difference can be over $1000. That has to be registry stuff and good marketing. If I'm spending $2000 it better be Greek silver :-)

How many of us can actually see the difference between a 64 and a 65?

I think if you are into a series and are looking at coins at shows on a regular basis you can get a good feel and separate coins out between adjacent grades and even within grades. If with that knowledge you choose to spend a lot more that I can understand.

I guess I understand the ergistry game as well, at leats intelelctually, but I just don't get the motivation.

• 2 months later...

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but since I shop only for MS coins, I have looked at a bunch and am beginning to improve my grading skills. I usually stay away from the next grade up if the cost is more than double the previous grade. That way there is not much downside risk if a potential buyer thinks my coin is overgraded, but lots of potential upside potential if I have chosen a coin at the top of its grade. The other hope with that strategy is that as demand (and price) for higher grades increase and become out of reach for some collectors, it will eventually put upward pressure on the value of the grade I have chosen.

As investor-like as this sounds, I am truly a collector and never intend to sell my collection. But I enjoy thinking about the value I am getting for my money and knowing that I have made a good purchase. Someday if my heirs don't share my enjoyment of the hobby, they will still be able to benefit from my enjoyment of it.

You make a excellent point, and one of the reason I now shy away from older MS coins. The grading is so subjective, I'll stick to F-XF coins for now. :ninja:

Dan

I take it you think it's different for coins graded F or XF - it's not. The dollar numbers are smaller yes, but the difference is still there. And market grading applies to circulated grades just like it does to MS grades. What was VF 10 years ago - is XF today. And what was XF 15 yrs ago - is AU today.

Its all about the Registry sets. Gotta have the Highest. Its just plain NUTS.

Exactly. If Bill over there has a MS 64 and there is only one coin higher than his, you'll pay anything to beat him.

Archived