CoinPeople.com

Popular Coin Idol 2011

Art

I think that it's time to get something going for PCI2011. Please post any ideas that you have for the competition to this thread. Anyone like "thedeadpoint" wishing to volunteer to run this please step up now.

Let's make PCI2011 a great contest.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the catagories from PCI2010. Should be a good starting point.

Group 1: Ancient XX-499AD

Group 2: Medievel 500AD-1500

Group 3: 1501-1700

Group 4: 1701-1800

Group 5: 1801-1900

Group 6: 1901-2000

Group 7: 2001-Present

Group 8: NCLT

Group 9: Exonumia

Group 10: Special Coins - anything you collect that you feel warrants being outside the other catagories.

Oh shoot... I had a good idea for a new twist on the PCI but I forgot... let me think about it.

And I'll volunteer to help out. Let me review how Art did it and maybe I can finally do it as well as him.

I'm wanting to enter some coins this year too. Hopefully thedeadpoint will take this project on and I'll have a bit of time to gather photos.

didn't sound like a hint at all... I'm hoping to be able to run it in 2012. this year i have no time at all but by then, hopefully, more time than i can stand :)

Hey, if I can toss a suggestion or two out, I thought it might be interesting to have a couple "non-competing" categories, ones that don't feed into the PCI final round but provide an opportunity for alternate bragging rights, like 'Best circulation find' for anything got out of a roll or in change or found on the street; or 'Best annual set' for the best complete run for one issuing authority for one year...

Hey, if I can toss a suggestion or two out, I thought it might be interesting to have a couple "non-competing" categories, ones that don't feed into the PCI final round but provide an opportunity for alternate bragging rights, like 'Best circulation find' for anything got out of a roll or in change or found on the street; or 'Best annual set' for the best complete run for one issuing authority for one year...

These have some serious potential. I'll be thinking about them a bit. Any details on your ideas?

Yup, I like that idea - particularly best circulation finds.

These have some serious potential. I'll be thinking about them a bit. Any details on your ideas?

Not too much, really. Best Circulation Find is pretty much just that -- something you got in change or out of a roll or found lying in a gutter. Something not purchased or gifted or willed to you, something the next guy would've got if you hadn't been paying attention.

Best Set is a bit more nebulous... you could as legitimately say that the one each of the 1900 Indian, Liberty, Barbers and Morgan constitute a set, whether or not it's mint-mark complete. And then someone might come along and have those, from all mints, plus the gold issues. I dunno, I was just thinking out loud on that one, but it's something to toy with, as a way of honoring collecting goals in addition to individual pieces, without submissions getting out of hand. And imagine the agonies of trying to decide between a complete run of American coins from 1921 versus, say, a British set from 1899, especially if gold is included on either side. I'm leaning away from mint-produced sets, but that's admittedly an artificial line.

I like Deadpoint's categories by metal -- best copper/bronze, best aluminium, best CuNi, best silver, etc. You'd probably need a catch-all for the unusual ones like tombac, pewter, stuff infrequently used for minting coins.

• 3 months later...

Guys, I've been busy with work, school, and life. I see a big opening coming up in August, so thank you for your continued patience!

Based on the poll results, we're going to have several brackets - the main branches are coin materials (gold, silver, copper, clad, other-metal, other-other) and the sub-branches as the categories from last year, where possible.

Later tonight when I take a break from homework, I'll lay out all of this in a separate thread with the rules for entries!

Guys, I've been busy with work, school, and life. I see a big opening coming up in August, so thank you for your continued patience!

Based on the poll results, we're going to have several brackets - the main branches are coin materials (gold, silver, copper, clad, other-metal, other-other) and the sub-branches as the categories from last year, where possible.

Later tonight when I take a break from homework, I'll lay out all of this in a separate thread with the rules for entries!

:bthumbsup:

I've been thinking about entering this little beauty in this years competition. Better photo needed of course.

980554.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived