CoinPeople.com

Storage Options for 1757-1796 5 Kopecks

nicholasz219

I have purchased several 5 Kopecks pieces recently and only one of them came in an Airtite holder. Does everyone pretty much use Airtite products for these since they are too big for 2 X 2's, or are there other options for these that I am not aware of?

Also, in a related note, if you have a person that you purchase the Airtite or other holders from, please let me know in a private mail. I found one person selling the 43 mm Airtite holders for $9.99 for ten (10) holders with no shipping costs.

Thanks!

I have purchased several 5 Kopecks pieces recently and only one of them came in an Airtite holder. Does everyone pretty much use Airtite products for these since they are too big for 2 X 2's, or are there other options for these that I am not aware of?

Also, in a related note, if you have a person that you purchase the Airtite or other holders from, please let me know in a private mail. I found one person selling the 43 mm Airtite holders for $9.99 for ten (10) holders with no shipping costs.

Thanks!

The large coins that do not fit into 2x2 SAFLIP plastic things I put into 2 x 2 coin paper envelopes - as 5k 50 gram pieces. All of these go into blue plastic air tight container from Whitman - this one ensures air is not getting inside of coin storage place and does nor oxidize them too quickly.

I've switched over to 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inert flips for raw coins. I buy some kind from my local coin shop; here's some Saflips from Wizard Coin Supply.

I strongly advise against using Saflips of any size for copper. I started using them several years ago. I now see that even they react with copper coins and often leave a greasy image on the plastic. The regular soft flips are much worse...the interaction happens much faster. I never use them.

I use paper. For the larger coins, 2.5x2.5 envelopes are easy to find.

I also have a 2x2 label printing system but that's a different story.

Steve

I strongly advise against using Saflips of any size for copper. I started using them several years ago. I now see that even they react with copper coins and often leave a greasy image on the plastic. The regular soft flips are much worse...the interaction happens much faster. I never use them.

I use paper. For the larger coins, 2.5x2.5 envelopes are easy to find.

I also have a 2x2 label printing system but that's a different story.

Steve

What about cardboard flips? Is the plastic lining reactive?

So paper is the best option? What about Airtite holders? Is the plastic inert because it is not a soft plastic or are those bad as well?

I don't have any experience with airtites; I've never used them. I believe no plastic is fully inert but the degradation/interaction is a lot slower on the 'safer' products.

Paper envelopes have their own set of issues. I don't really like that you can't easily see the coin. Perhaps more importantly, if there is any acid/sulfur in the paper it will be reactive.

While there are certainly very bad solutions, I don't know of a perfect solution. There are trade-offs to whatever you choose.

Have the best experience with coin cabinets and great for display.

In my experience Paper envelopes is chipper and second coin keeping better then the first in the same envelope .First coin if there is any acid sock in, but you have to be careful.If first coin have more problem after keeping in the same envelope for years, you must get rid of the envelope and not to used for second coin.

Rarenum

I think generalizations here are something of a problem. I have stored lots of coins in many different metals, mostly silver and copper, in 2x2 self-adhesive cardboard holders with a transparent Mylar window successfully up to now. Most of these have been behaving quite well in the bank SDB for 4 years or more now. There are companies (in Europe: Hartberger and Leuchtturm = Lighthouse are both very popular) which make similar oversized holders which can hold Catherine II pyataks (48mm window) and even my 1765-EM Novodel pyatak (Brekke 265) which needs a 50mm window (the widest coin in my collection to date). Both of these are 6.6 mm wide on the outside which put them at about 2.6 x 2.6 inches square. I don't store them in albums, though, but stand them up inside the longish cardboard boxes made for that purpose (the plastic in the album pages has softeners, polychlorides, and what not, and is MUCH nastier than the little Mylar windows in the flips). But for those who are so inclined, the same companies who make the flips also make album pages which can accommodate either the 2x2's or the larger 2.6 x 2.6's (no surprise there...).

I realize that these holders are not completely air-tight. However, the reactive coins I have noticed were almost always some that either [-a-] had some corrosion to begin with, which continued inside the flip over time, or [-b-] might have been dipped or gently cleaned in the past, and the trace chemicals have continued to work their "magic". But the coins with what I would say was genuine patina seem to do very well in these holders. Of course, it is a good idea to replace the flips every few years or so because the Mylar window can get deformed from the weight of the coin inside, and the adhesive stuff on the cardboard will also lose its resilience (hence the air-tightness, if it had any to begin with ... which it usually does).

(I wish I had the space to have a coin cabinet in our tiny 3-1/2 room apartment here in Zurich... :( )

Thanks!

Hi, mine are loose in trays (BEBA from Germany) on little felt pads, a descriptive cardboard beneath. Air access or not - no problem for the old coppers. I can arrange them and re-arrange them as often as I like, can turn them or not, can view the edge. I enjoy the direct contact. ;)

Sigi

trays5kop.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bobh,

Thank you for the information. Those are the holders that I had in mind because I would like to be able to show my coins off to friends and frankly having to worry about straying fingers is no fun. My daughter collects too, and she is seven, and occasionally I will let her take a coin for show and tell to school. I would be very happy to let her do that with a pyatak if there was a reduced chance of little fingers getting inside of the holders.

I usually use 2 X 2's (not the self sealing, but ones you have to staple) for most of my coins. For my other collections I use 2 X 2's as well. For my Russian collection, because it is constantly changing and I am in and out of it because of checking references, reorganizing around a new purchase, et cetera, I use the long red storage boxes which make for good long term storage and transport as well as easy rearrangement. For my other collections I use the plastic storage sheets and binders. The vast majority of my non-Russian collection barring two significant minor collections has been transferred to my daughter to start her own collection. Eventually I will get away from binders as well because the pages collapse under the weight of the 2 X 2's, the pages tear from staples catching and fingers prying in and out and as the pages loosen, coins can simply fall out of the pages.

I think I will purchase some of those pyatak holders from the German companies that you mentioned. Especially if they can fit inside the red boxes I currently have.

Sigi:

While I love the look and accessibility of the coin cabinets that you have, I don't know if they would be cost effective for me. I hate to ask even how much those were, because they are very nice looking and classy. Also, I only have five of the Catherine II pyataks, so it would look kind of silly right now. But in the future, for long term storage, they would be wonderful. I'd be curious to know how much they cost.

PS-Sigi, I thought at first glance that those cabinets were made of finished wood. They may be more affordable than I had thought.

I think I will purchase some of those pyatak holders from the German companies that you mentioned. Especially if they can fit inside the red boxes I currently have.

I also staple the self-adhesive holders around the window because they will eventually come unstuck, especially with heavy coins. Then if they aren't stapled, they will fall out. For smaller coins such as pennies and nickels, I don't staple.

Sigi:

While I love the look and accessibility of the coin cabinets that you have, I don't know if they would be cost effective for me. I hate to ask even how much those were, because they are very nice looking and classy. Also, I only have five of the Catherine II pyataks, so it would look kind of silly right now. But in the future, for long term storage, they would be wonderful. I'd be curious to know how much they cost.

PS-Sigi, I thought at first glance that those cabinets were made of finished wood. They may be more affordable than I had thought.

Hi Nicholas, if you got only few of the 5 kopeks yet, the empty box would be a challenge - :grin:

They are made of plastic and you can buy them in the U.S. as well, click the link. Choose your drawers according to the size of the coins. Mine is the Mini-Beba with 8 drawers. Mine are all alike for 5x5 coins each. Only 6 of my drawers are full of coins. I'll stay at that number of 150 coins. Thus before inserting a new acquisition an earlier one has to leave :unsure: (I have to discipline myself like this for different reasons).

Happy collecting - Sigi

http://www.safepub.com/categories/coin-cases/beba-storage-cases

-

Sigi:

Thanks, this looks like a nice way for long term storage and display of my coins. At least my larger sized coins, that is! I appreciate the link too. I would have eventually found the link to the US site, I would like to think, but otherwise I would be paying an arm and a leg to get these over here from Europe.

Nick

These are the wood boxes that I use for the large 5K's.

They also have a nice line of plastic cases similar to Sigi's.. so explore that site a little. They ship from the US.

They are "Leuchtern" in Germany, and "Lighthouse" over here.

http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lighthouse.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/leuchtturm_us/Products/HMK3T30BL

These are the wood boxes that I use for the large 5K's.

They also have a nice line of plastic cases similar to Sigi's.. so explore that site a little. They ship from the US.

They are "Leuchtern" in Germany, and "Lighthouse" over here.

http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lighthouse.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/leuchtturm_us/Products/HMK3T30BL

Actually, it's "Leuchtturm". I like them, and I wish I had room for the boxes...

Actually, it's "Leuchtturm". I like them, and I wish I had room for the boxes...

Thank you. :yes:

Not to brag, but I am a world class bad speller, in multiple languages, including my native English :rofl:

The wood boxes are large, a tiny bit bigger than a Bitkin volume. but the trays stack 3 high, 20 pyataks/tray. I ordered mine with more divisions on the lower trays, so I can have small, medium, and large. The medium would be perfect for Nicholas II rubles, holding 30, and the small could hold 48 Nicholas II poltinas. You can order any combination of divisions of the trays, including slab sized. My wife bought me two boxes for my birthday a few years back. :yahoo:

Archived