CoinPeople.com

Man...

Tiffibunny

Why do the new silver pieces have to be so darn expensive??? They are nearly twice the price of US commems. I really like that new totem coin. Why the $30 denomination?

2005_totem.jpg

Actually I love that design, but I'll be darned if I'm going to pay $62.48 for it.

Its called GREED. Why make a measly $1 or $5 coin when you can make a $30 coin for the same money and charge twice the normal amount to collectors who think they just have to have one! While it is great to see so many countries sharing history through commemoratives I find the prices of many so outrageous I don't even look at their advertisements any longer. Laying all jokes aside the collectors of the world CAN stop this price gouging but it would take a concentrated effort to STOP paying the price to get them. The Mints would then have to adjust accordingly or quit making coins that no one will buy.

I really like that new totem coin.  Why the $30 denomination? 

two reasons, afaik: making it "worth" $30 makes it easier for the rcm to charge what they do, and the multiple of three makes it "lucky" (and therefore more desirable) for some of their asian clients.

i've been dithering about this one, too--i like the design but not >$60 worth :ninja:

Archived