CoinPeople.com

change find

Corina

I always think it is ironic, since I live much closer to the border, I get Canadian change all the time and it is a plague since I tend to save up change and take it to the bank - and they will not take Canadian - which means I tend to hand it back to cashiers and ask for American money.

I miss seeing Canadian change -- I'd see them all the time in Toledo, even the paper money once in a while. Columbus, not so much. Seems to drop off pretty steeply the further you get from a border crossing.

I've got some unusual coins in change, though. I've gotten a Bahamian quarter, a Mexican 20 centavo piece--there's a comparable trip to Corina's find; maybe a little weirder since it's not the same currency name. A British decimal penny once -- no doubt someone thought it was a Canadian piece, we were used to seeing Liz turn up every so often anyway. And I once found a silver 1942 Netherlands 10c piece in the alley behind our house -- that was around 1972 or so. How that got there, I have no idea.

While being in Canada I was getting American quarters in change quite often; got British 10 pence once (well, its the same size and almost the same value).

But the most amazing thing was getting Kenyan 1 shilling in Russia :-)

While being in Canada I was getting American quarters in change quite often; got British 10 pence once (well, its the same size and almost the same value).

But the most amazing thing was getting Kenyan 1 shilling in Russia :-)

I got a Russian kopek in change in Kyiv Ukraine in December.