CoinPeople.com

In *change*?

ikaros

So I'm back after about a three or four year absence -- what happened today made me think of y'all. Hi, missed ya!

Three Ikes in change today, all Bicentennial, one of them 40% silver. When's the last time you saw one of those in circulation?

IKES?!! You're joking! Where was this transaction? Nominate the clerk for employee of the year!

Or perhaps the numismatic community should nominate a non-collector who has directly or indirectly contributed much to the hobby

IKES?!! You're joking! Where was this transaction? Nominate the clerk for employee of the year!

Or perhaps the numismatic community should nominate a non-collector who has directly or indirectly contributed much to the hobby

Believe it or not, it was at a coin shop!

Only one of them is in VF-XF condition; of the others, one is F-VF and the silver one has a nice obverse but a strangely dirty reverse. I don't think he noticed that one of them was silver. He'd gotten a pile of them and asked if I'd like those instead of paper money in change... well, Mama didn't raise no fool!

Nice change. Welcome back. You've made it in time to vote in the PCI2010 competition. In fact there's still plenty of time to enter most of the catagories.

Nice change. Welcome back. You've made it in time to vote in the PCI2010 competition. In fact there's still plenty of time to enter most of the catagories.

I just threw a couple hats into the 1900-2000 Group 6 ring. :ninja:

A few months ago when I went back to the USA I got an Ike in change in a grocery store, I saw it in the till and asked for it.

I don't blame you. :ninja:

I got an Indian Head cent and a Buffalo nickel in change in the '70s, when I had a paper route. And I found a 1941 Belgian 10c coin in the alley behind our house in the early '70s -- how *that* got to Ohio, I'll never know. It would've made more sense if it were Polish or Czech, since the neighborhood was something like 90% Polish and Czech back then. I had a Mexican 5 centavo coin once; got it in place of a penny, as I recall.

Canadian coins were pretty common up in Toledo since we were only an hour from Windsor, so seeing Liz (and once in a while George) was nothing unusual.

I got a bunch at the bank last year I think, but they are certainly not as common as they once were!

They weren't especially common during the decade of their production, as I recall.

I keep thinking about that cashier at Tim Hortons who thought the 50c piece I was trying to pay with was a $2 coin. Betcha I could convince her an Ike is a half eagle!

I have actually gotten several hundred ikes in rolls etc from the bank just in the past few months, my tellers call me when they come in - it is a sign of the economy - people are getting rid of stuff they held onto just to buy groceries etc.

I have actually gotten several hundred ikes in rolls etc from the bank just in the past few months, my tellers call me when they come in - it is a sign of the economy - people are getting rid of stuff they held onto just to buy groceries etc.

I think theres a lot of truth in that idea Saor Alba , ive come across pre 64 dimes and so far 1 quarter in the past year , loads of wheaties and early jeffersons.Its like people are emptying out all those old change jars,never know whats next.

Ive had South Africa dime sized coins , Canada dimes , British 10ps passed as quarters to me , interesting to see how easily they all can and do circulate.

I forgot how much I like that simple reverse.

The eagle on the moon reverse of the regular Ikes and the Susan B's has always been one of my favorite coin designs, but I'm well and truly a space geek. :ninja:

I lent a friend $40 back in 1974 so he could pay his rent and, knowing I liked coins, he paid me back in Ikes.

I used to tip the Chinese restaurant delivery guy with them. One of them said "Thank you for big money!" :ninja:

I lent a friend $40 back in 1974 so he could pay his rent and, knowing I liked coins, he paid me back in Ikes.

I used to tip the Chinese restaurant delivery guy with them. One of them said "Thank you for big money!" :ninja:

At the North Coast Golf Show, I paid to have my swing videotaped and analyzed with a combination of Susan Bs and Sacagaweas. The swing coach, from Canada, was unaccustomed to our dollar coins, so when I went back the next year (with more dollar coins), he remembered me -- and asked me to keep bringing him the coins whenever I made it to the show. ;)

We traded some, too -- my roommate wanted a couple twonies for his collection.

BTW, any of my brother and sister golfers out there: having your swing taped for the first time is not for the faint of heart. I would describe my swing that very first time as being a three-dimensional scribble. Had it done again last summer at a local Nationwide Tour event -- the words you never really want to hear a swing coach utter are "I'm kinda amazed you make contact..."

Archived