CoinPeople.com

Irish Bank Tokens

I couldn't find a Topic for these tokens used in the 19th Century so have started one here

1805 Bank of Ireland 10 Pence bank Token - this is a recent acquisition and is in beautiful condition. It was graded as EF and was part of the R. Climpson collection

1805Irish10PBankTokenObvEF.jpg

1805Irish10PBankTokenRevEF.jpg

1805 Bank of Ireland 10 Pence bank Token - Variety - Leaf between the D and E of DEI on Obverse

1805Irish10PBankTokenObvLeafbetweenDandE.jpg

1805Irish10PBankTokenRev.jpg

1813 One Shilling and 6 pence (18 pence) Bank of Ireland Bank token

1813BankToken1s6Dobv.jpg

1813BankToken1s6Drev.jpg

1813 Ten pence Bank of Ireland Bank token

1813IrishBankToken10penceObv.jpg

1813IrishBankToken10penceRev.jpg

Plus here's a couple of scans of a Gun Money half crown

1689GunMoneyhalfCrownObvJamesII.jpg

1689GunMoneyhalfCrownRevJamesII.jpg

Just some info on the Silver Bank of Ireland tokens

In 1804 the bank of Ireland had quantities of Spanish and Spanish-American8 Reales or "dollars" restruck as Six Shilling Bank Tokens (the bank of England had similar coins struck into Five Shilling tokens as silver coinage was still at a premium in Ireland). Virtually no silver coinage had been struck at London in the period 1758 to 1804 except for the issue of sixpences and shillings in 1787 and the "Northumberland" shillings of 1763 when the Earl of Northumberland took over as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and distributed a 100 pounds worth of these silver tokens.

the Bank of Ireland issues are:

6 Shillings - 1804

30 pence (or 2 shillings and 6 pence) - 1808

10 pence - 1805, 1806 - type 1 - inscription is across the field on the reverse

10 pence - 1813 - type 2 - inscription in a wreath on the reverse

5 pence - 1805 and 1806

There were a lot of contemporary forgeries made (mostly in Birmingham) - basically they copied the coinage in base metal and then silvered them over.

There are proof strikes of these tokens and I have also seen counterstamped examples. The Royal Australian Mint has specimen copies on display

Hope this information is handy - source was Coins of Scotland Ireland and the Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Man & Lundy - Standard Catalogue of British Coins Volume 2 by Peter Seaby and P. Frank Purvey. Mines an old copy from 1984 but I find it a very handy reference (plus it's a 1st Edition)

Happy New Year to you all and good coin hunting

Phil

Beautiful tokens Bluesfil, being half Irish they have a special place in my heart.

Here's my gun money...

1689GM-1.jpg

1689GM-2.jpg

Same year, different month. This was found in a secret compartment in an old desk by a London antiques dealer along with this Irish token...

cork-1.jpg

cork-2.jpg

I never clean my coins but this one could sure use a scrub!

909104.jpg

That is a fabulous example of the 6 shilling 1804

Archived