CoinPeople.com

Michael Jackson's new memorial coin

atlantida

Do you think it's a gimmick? I think "lifetime" is a time unit; if you read it carefully you may understand, why it says "one lifetime" on the coin. For instance - a person has lived his entire lifetime well and has died. Another one would be a day or a century. I also think the coin depicts Michael in between of his surgeries, but the nose is kind of wrong; perhaps the mint can't make it perfect on a metal. I've seen uglier coins of MJ.

I still think these sorts of things are a waste of money and utterly pointless.

It is a horrible looking coin though, seeing as he was/is the "King of Pop" I would have thought more effort would have gone into such a "coin". The reverse looks some "Happy Meal" toy... :ninja:

Well, they are better than the gold plated US coins with his image plastered on one side, that is all I've been seeing until I read this post

• 3 weeks later...

Meh. It's a cool gimmick, but I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents for anything in there. They're asking $50 for each of the first 10 in each series, and $5 for the remaining 90. Complete rip-off.

But then again, the banknotes website is asking $10 for a series 2003 star note $1, F-VF. Bah.

Reminds me a lot of the Chinese "Hell" bank notes.

• 1 month later...
Meh. It's a cool gimmick, but I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents for anything in there. They're asking $50 for each of the first 10 in each series, and $5 for the remaining 90. Complete rip-off.

But then again, the banknotes website is asking $10 for a series 2003 star note $1, F-VF. Bah.

Reminds me a lot of the Chinese "Hell" bank notes.

Well, getting paid $1000, $3000, $5000, $10000 a month is not a rip-off while most of the world's people must live on less than $1 a day. A true rip-off is when you can't get paid more than you need to survive and not when you have a choice to not buy. Talking about paying less than the cost as well as paying your employees too little is what destroys a society and an economy.

^^ Which has nothing at all to do with this thread...I have minted coins for the birth of my daughter, its not cheap but doesnt justify the cost they are being sold at and if they need to get paid, then maybe they should mint or produce something worth buying instead of selling cheap coins with a dead pop star on them for far too much money. The lot of those people who cannot make enough money to live is not the topic of this thread...

Oh...they dont remind me of hell banknotes...hell bank notes are cool...these are less than cool...I will collect Hell Notes :ninja:

hellnote01.jpg

^^ Which has nothing at all to do with this thread...I have minted coins for the birth of my daughter, its not cheap but doesnt justify the cost they are being sold at and if they need to get paid, then maybe they should mint or produce something worth buying instead of selling cheap coins with a dead pop star on them for far too much money. The lot of those people who cannot make enough money to live is not the topic of this thread...

Oh...they dont remind me of hell banknotes...hell bank notes are cool...these are less than cool...I will collect Hell Notes :ninja:

hellnote01.jpg

Go to the CSNA website and look at the magazine archives, they have a very cool article on these!

As far as the Michael Jackson coin goes, I do have to say one thing. Here in the good old U.S.A., if an obese man can die of a drug overdose while on the toilet and get a postage stamp (Elvis)and a woman who had sexual relations with the President and his candidate brother and couldn't hold any of four marriages together can die of an overdose and get a postage stamp (Marylin Monroe), why can't an accused child molester die of an overdose and get a coin?

I'm just making observations...

Archived