CoinPeople.com

Finn's Finds

Finn235

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some nice finds from work today.

'74-S penny I found on the floor under the vending machine. It caught my eye because of the characteristic color, but then I noticed the "S" once I picked it up off the floor. A small amount of luster still visible on the fields.

'56-D and '41 wheaties

TWO silver Roosies! '51 and '64. First ones in well over a year! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Wish me luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Some nifty finds after a relatively dry period.

Yesterday I picked up $10.00 face in nickels from the bank as usual with my paycheck. Finds:

1941-D

1951-D

1962 Canadian

And here's the kicker:

A magician's coin! I've never seen one in circulation before, but it caught my eye somehow before I noticed that it had two heads. It's really a master work; I had to look at the coin with a 10x magnifier to see where the one side was fitted into the other. But the dead giveaway? One side is a 1973-D and the other side is a 1994-P. The only visible remnant of where the coins were put together is a faint line that runs from Jefferson's ponytail to the Y in LIBERTY. The coin is also set in medal orientation, with about a 10-20 degree difference. Flip it, and there's nothing but a dull thud. I would post pictures, but my camera doesn't have a good enough lens to see where the coin was modified.

Here's my question, though: I know that these generally sell for about $1-2 in joke shops, but is the coin still worth that much?

• 1 month later...

Finally updating again. Findings have been relatively dry as of late.

Pennies:

Starting to see a few of these pop up in circulation from time to time. Averaging about 1-2 per day.

IMG_1225.jpg

2009 Cabin cents are rare again. Log splitters show up from time to time, and I can usually snag 1 professional life per day. Still no white house reverse.

Found 1955-D and 1952-S wheat pennies the other day. The '55-D has some traces of luster around the portrait and between letters.

Nickels:

Picked up $16 face from the bank two days ago. Findings were meager.

1958-D

2000-D with an impressive luster in the fields. At first, I thought it was an escaped proof coin.

Dollars:

Picked up 1 roll with the nickels. As usual, it was full of dirty 2000-P Sac and 1979-P Anthony dollars. But then this fell out

1D_2010P.jpg

:ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a '72 and a '96-P half dollar from the bank today. The '72 is in good condition, but the '96 is looking a little worse for wear. But, luck dealt me a good hand, and the manager walked past as I was asking for half dollars and asked me if I wanted him to order a box for me. I'm going to buy as much of the box as I can afford this friday, so wish me luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to go on a roll search when I cashed my paycheck today.

Out of 4 rolls of mixed dollar coins:

2005-D Sac (interestingly, this one shows signs of spending a moderate time in circulation)

2x 1999-D agony dollars

2010 P&D Sac

Assorted BU presidents

Out of 10 rolls of nickels:

1944-D war nickel!

1960-D in XF

1957 P&D

1941-S

1940 in XF

12x 1964 (just to prove a point I made in a previous thread)

Also, the bank teller gave me a series '90 $50. It's been a while since I've seen a small portrait bill in circulation.

• 1 month later...

My work has been a veritable gold mine for nickels as of late. For the last three weeks, I have found a pre-1960 nickel every day.

Just last weekend:

1948-S in F/XF

1941-S

1948-D

1954-D in XF

Methinks somebody dumped an old hoard/collection into a coinstar...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two notable finds in the past two days.

Found a completely blackened 1944-D nickel today.

Yesterday, I found a very curious 1941 nickel. At first, I thought it was a war nickel (I could tell that this was a 1940s coin, and it had the characteristic gray tarnishing of a war nickel that had been cleaned at one point.) But when I flipped it over, there was no mint mark, instantly ruling out the possibility of being a war nickel. A closer look revealed that the final digit in the date was a 1, which meant that any sort of composition error would be impossible. I'll upload a picture when I can, but the only think I can think of is that either: 1) this coin was cleaned and tarnished in a highly unusual way, or 2) it was sliver-plated at one point in time (I have heard this was a fairly common hobby/science project before silver prices were at their current high). I'll get a picture up soon.

Sorry for the delay in answering your Barr Note question. Not rare or any such thing but Barr's term was extrememly short, so the series relative to other notes of the era was very limited production.

I did some research and found that as well. Apparently he was only in office for about 30 days, and series '63-B is the only series featuring the signatures of two individuals who were not in office concurrently. Sounds like the bills are more of a curiosity than anything.

Picked up a batch of $14 in nickels and $50 in $2 bills on a whim today.

From the nickels...

About 10x 1964

2010 P&D

And a 1996 mexican peso! Never found one of those in circulation before!

The bills were (as I expected) disappointing. A run of 4 crisp series '03-A bills, a few from series '76, and a Where's George bill. I entered the bill, but it was first entered a month ago and 5 miles down the road from me. I mostly bought them to spend around town, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice couple of hauls in the past week.

Last friday, I brought in a handful of nickel rolls when I went to work, and traded them for rolls of nickels from the podium (where cashiers can get change if they run out of any coins/bills). From that batch:

1941-S in VF

1947 x 2

And picked up $22 in nickels today from the bank. In that batch:

1953-D

1957-D

1958-D

1967 in XF

2010-P x 2

Canadian 2007 BU

And... a Thai Baht! Technically, I lost two cents by keeping it, but I think it's worth it just for the novelty!

Archived