CoinPeople.com

Finn's Finds

Finn235

I figured I'd go ahead and make a thread for all the various oddities I find in circulation, rather than clogging up the other thread. Virtually everything I add to my collection is from circulation, and I will make special note if I pay more than face value for anything.

I don't feel like adding all of my findings from the past year (there are a LOT), so I will edit this periodically to include them.

For now, the latest finds:

I've been cashing a portion of my paycheck in assorted dollar coins (SBA, Sac, and Pres). Virtually all of them were '79 SBA's and '00 Sac's. BUT, I did find a few rarer ones:

1980-S SBA (second lowest circulating coin after the '99-D)

2004-P Sac in beautiful condition (only 2,660,010 minted!)

2009-P Harrison

And of course the new pennies I got from work:

300+ log cabin 2009-P

250+ log splitter 2009-P

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulled an additional 70-ish log splitters out of my cash drawer today, in addition to a small-portrait $20 (series 1990), a $20 and $1 star note, a '59 nickel and a '56 wheatie. It's amazing what is starting to surface as people are digging deeper to make ends meet these days.

As a side project, I have been searching through a number of jars of pennies (30-40 pounds total) that my grandfather gave me some time ago. It has been a blast, since a majority of these haven't even seen the light of day since 1988. I pulled two full rolls' worth of AU/BU '80 and '81 pennies from the first one I searched through. Not to mention THREE '71-S's and a '45 wheatie!

Counted up all of my log splitters that I salvaged from my cash drawer... just a little shy of 700! I think I'm going to hang on to a few of the better specimens, and keep a few extra rolls on hand to trade for the '09-D pennies.

I also found two '09-P DC quarters, a bicentennial quarter (not that significant of a find these days, but still cool), and a number of very gently circulated state quarters. I think a bunch of collectors are spending the bulk of their less valuable hoards to make ends meet.

Went through half of a jar of pennies from my grandfather's old hoard. This was a jar from the 80's, so it was mostly well circulated pennies from the 60's and 70's, but I managed to pull about a roll's worth of beautiful '83-'88 pennies, a '70 and '71-S, and a beautiful '82 zinc small date variety.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice haul from work today. Just broke the 1,000 mark with the log splitter pennies, found five bicentennial quarters, and recieved six $2 bills as payment.

And the best part: One of my coworkers found a bag of miscellaneous coins that she had been trying to get rid of, but couldn't sell, so she gave them to me. Contents:

Numerous Dutch 5 and 10 cent coins from the '70s-90's

British 2p, 5p, and 1 pound coins, '70s-90s

Greek 5 and 10 Drachma coins, '90s

Thai 1 baht

Ghana 100, 200, 500 Cedis, late '90s

Swiss 50 ore, 1991

Canadian Quarter, 1995

Mexican 1 and 5 pesos, late '90s

Italian 100 Lira, 1957

Token that says X-mark IDX 1.073/A075 Token.

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been relatively slow on the coin front. Found a '74-S and '72-S in my grandfather's penny hoard (three more old apple sauce jars to go through).

Got a good star note from a customer today. $20 serial number GE 00096132 *, series 2004-A. Triple-0 star notes are hard as heck to come by!

Oops! That was a typo. I live a little north of Atlanta, and it usually takes quite a while for D's to work their way over here. Quarters, dimes, and nickels usually take about six months, but it's almost impossible to find any '05-'08 D pennies in circulation. We are absolutely flooded with the log splitters right now, but the cabin cents are a bit more scarce, so a cabin cent all the way from Denver is certainly a noteworthy find. To put things into perspective, I have about 5 2008-D pennies in my collection versus over 100 2008-P's, and I check everything that I can get my hands on.

Which reminds me. I picked up another two rolls of dollar coins from the bank again a few days ago. As usual, it was mostly full of well circulated presidentials and ugly '00-P sac's. But:

Two '09-P Harrisons

One '09-P Tyler

Two '09-P Native American Dollars

And... an assortment of more lightly circulated miscellaneous presidential dollars. Mostly Jefferson and Madison.

Major finds today!!!!

Brilliant MS red 1972-D penny

TWO wheat pennies (1953-D and 1957-D with a hint of luster)

1938-P Jeff nickel (F/EF condition)

And the big one!!!

A buffalo nickel! And no, not one of the ones that were made in 2005! It's in pretty bad shape and has no trace of a date left, but those things don't show up very often in circulation!

Major finds today!!!!

Brilliant MS red 1972-D penny

TWO wheat pennies (1953-D and 1957-D with a hint of luster)

1938-P Jeff nickel (F/EF condition)

And the big one!!!

A buffalo nickel! And no, not one of the ones that were made in 2005! It's in pretty bad shape and has no trace of a date left, but those things don't show up very often in circulation!

Lucky! I've never found an obsolete denomination (other than a silver certificate) in my life of collecting!

The good times keep rolling!

One of the guys from the cash office saved a 1944-D wheatie and a rough '54 nickel for me when I came in today.

But here's the big one.

1925-D wheat penny!

Some lady apparently went through an old jar of change and paid the odd 45-ish cents of her order in pennies. Most of them weren't anything too special, but I noticed some wheat ears as I was counting them out, so I made a point to set that one aside. It was looking pretty ugly, so I figured it was another '55 or so that had been left in a rain puddle for a few months. When nobody was looking, I made a quick swap and looked to see what I had just found. My jaw dropped when I saw the 192-. It's too heavily corroded to tell for certain what the last digit is, but it's definitely from the 1920's. Looking at it under a magnifying glass, the blob at the end of the date looks like it was a 5 at one point in time.

I'll get a picture up here as soon as I can. Anybody know any special tricks to determining the date on coins like this?

*EDIT* Here's a picture of the little beauty :ninja:

1c_192-_Ob.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Fairly busy week. We're unfortunately in the middle of an audit at work, so it's difficult to snag coins at times. But I have managed to make a couple grabs while the auditors aren't looking. So far, I have found one wheat penny in my till every day this week. Findings:

1928 - since I can't make out the date on the coin posted above, this is my oldest confirmable coin from circulation.

Two '68 pennies in brilliant uncirculated red condition.

'78 Canadian penny

2003 South African 2 Rand masquerading as a quarter. The cash office caught this one, but saved it for me.

Spotted a Puerto Rico quarter, but I was unable to grab it. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Today for old time's sake, I decided to cash a good portion of my paycheck in rolled coins. 2 rolls of dollar coins, 4 rolls of nickels, and 3 rolls of pennies. Findings were meager, but not horrible.

Dollar coins:

1 1979-S filled

2 1980-D

1 1980-S

The rest were '79 P/D sacs and '07-P Adams (I specifically asked for mixed rolls, but they gave me some that had obviously been broken and re-wrapped)

Nickels:

1954-D

1958-D

1962-D (probably going to release this one, I need to stop keeping the post-1959 crap lol)

1967 (For some reason, despite having a 107M mintage figure, these are exceedingly rare to find, along with '65 and '66)

Pennies:

1969-S

1983 Canadian cent (the one with however many sides... don't ask how it made it through the counting machine)

A handful of pre-82 cents for the copper hoard -- now a little over 11 pounds

And two dimes!

Decent findings yesterday:

1945-D war nickel. One of my coworkers saved this one for me because it "looked different." Now I only have '44 and '50 to go to complete the partial 1938-1963 basic year set. I stop at '64 because of the 2+ billion mintage figure for that year.

'09-D log splitter. We usually don't see D coins here for a VERY long time, so this is a very welcome find.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think there might be a bright side to this recession after all.

Relieved my local bank of 6 rolls of pennies and 2 rolls of dollar coins today. Findings:

1953-D and 1945 wheaties mixed into a roll along with four cabin cents. Talk about a wide date range.

About 50 coins for my junk copper hoard

2 '99-P, 2 '79-S and 2 '80-S SBA's... All I need to complete the set is the '99-D, and hopefully I'll stumble across some '81's someday.

Major haul today!

67 DC-P quarters; 1 fresh roll plus 27 that were broken in the cash office.

2 Prof-Life pennies

1958 and 1947 nickels

And a hideous 1927 wheatie. My gut instinct told me that it was old, but there was so much gunk caked onto it, I couldn't even see the date. The way the crud was stuck on there, it almost looked like I might be holding a coin from the 1910's. So curiosity got the best of me (not to mention that the coin wouldn't have much value in the state it was in) I broke the first commandment of coin collecting and cleaned it off with a little bit of baking soda. With the gunk cleaned off, the penny still isn't pretty but its date is clear. This is currently the oldest coin I have found in circulation to date.

Picked up another batch of coins when I cashed my paycheck today. There weren't as many goodies as I was hoping (somebody had already searched through most of the nickels), but I did manage to find two gems in there:

1945-P (?) nickel, P-AG. This is possibly the most worn Jefferson nickel I have ever found. The rim protected the date from wear, but there's only a ghost where the mint mark used to be. I am 95% sure it was a P at one point in time, however. Still, silver is silver.

1929 wheatie, VG-F. This is the fourth wheat penny from the 1920's I've found, and the third in the past two months.

Archived