CoinPeople.com

Finn's Finds

Finn235

Notable finds of the last week or so!

Yesterday, I found a 2006 masonic penny in my till. I know nothing valuable, but cool nonetheless! I did some research, and it looks like they are given as a keepsake to anyone who joins the ranks of the Freemasons. Anybody have anything else to add?

And today, a 1918 penny! Oldest coin I've ever found in circulation!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disregard that last post. New record: 1916-S

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

Received this one as payment from a customer today. Reverse looks to be in significantly better shape than the obverse; makes me think it was used as a filler for an album until a better coin was found. Still, oldest and rarest penny I've ever found in circulation!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up 4 rolls of dollar coins because the bank was out of nickel boxes.

There were 2 each of the '09 and '10 Sacagawea coins, 5 Lincoln dollars, 10 near-UNC '01-D Sacs, and a literal pile of '00 Sacs and miscellaneous presidents, mostly Jackson-Fillmore.

Picked up 4 rolls of dollar coins because the bank was out of nickel boxes.

There were 2 each of the '09 and '10 Sacagawea coins, 5 Lincoln dollars, 10 near-UNC '01-D Sacs, and a literal pile of '00 Sacs and miscellaneous presidents, mostly Jackson-Fillmore.

I never find any keepers when I get the dollar coin rolls but they're nice for spending. I especially like them for tips and such.

I never find any keepers when I get the dollar coin rolls but they're nice for spending. I especially like them for tips and such.

Truth be told, I don't think anything except the '02-08 Sacs could be considered true "keepers." I keep a couple of each president, but none are particularly hard to come by.

Coins have been excruciatingly slow for a while, but finally some new developments on the dollar-bill side!

Three days ago, received a Series 1969-B $1, SN: D15129208A. The bill is clean, but looks like it was used for some sort of origami some time ago.

And today, the first bill in my stack of 25 $1 bills was my *second* 1963-B Barr note, SN: E48784714F. Medium-large tear across one portion of the bill, but I'll take it nonetheless.

Also, on a side note, I have managed to amass nearly 3 full rolls of 1964-D and 2 rolls of 1964 nickels, all marked in bold sharpie. I am probably going to start spending them around soon... hopefully I will stir up some curiosity!

Coins have been excruciatingly slow for a while, but finally some new developments on the dollar-bill side!

Three days ago, received a Series 1969-B $1, SN: D15129208A. The bill is clean, but looks like it was used for some sort of origami some time ago.

And today, the first bill in my stack of 25 $1 bills was my *second* 1963-B Barr note, SN: E48784714F. Medium-large tear across one portion of the bill, but I'll take it nonetheless.

Also, on a side note, I have managed to amass nearly 3 full rolls of 1964-D and 2 rolls of 1964 nickels, all marked in bold sharpie. I am probably going to start spending them around soon... hopefully I will stir up some curiosity!

Good finds. The thing with 64 Jeffersons is to keep anything that is in really good shape with a solid strike. Lot harder to find than people might think.

Good finds. The thing with 64 Jeffersons is to keep anything that is in really good shape with a solid strike. Lot harder to find than people might think.

I've noticed that as well, and I have managed to snag several in near-BU condition '64 nickels. I've also kept my eye out for the '64-D with motto "E PLURIDUS UNUM" but haven't found any.

• 2 months later...

Finally some non-nickel updates from work.

Aside from the usual smattering of wheat pennies (1938-1957) and occasional Canadian change, some interesting/noteworthy finds:

$20 bill with the lowest serial number I've ever seen: 00000211. I made a comment about it, and the customer simply remarked that he got it from his work, and he's seen everything... including somebody who paid a $3,000 bill entirely in varied series 1950-something United States Notes.

My first ever 2009 cent with the Presidency reverse. And I've seen more than $100 worth of pennies since 2009.

Various ATB quarters, including two '11-P Gettysburg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived