CoinPeople.com

Signs of Withdrawl Setting In

Scottishmoney

Basically my coin collecting actively is gone for the time being. Several years ago, before I married my wife, I was talking to my then future father in law about collecting coins. He remarked that he was a fairly active collector, mostly world coins and he still had a few of them, but when the kids came along there went the coins.

I thought at the time, how terrible, I think I would rather have my coins. Oh how things and priorities change. With two kids, I could channel their interests into coin collecting, and at least stay involved through them. I have bought things up until a couple of months ago, but then with the prospect of more kids etc, the thought of tying up money in coins is unthinkable now.

I have really had to take a hard look at several areas of my collecting interests and determine what I can live without, and what is irreplacable. I used to collect Scottish coins and banknotes, now I have completely lost interests, so they are going.

More recently I started collecting some Greek city coinages, mostly Black Sea areas, they are staying, I like the history and it ties in with an area I have a continued interest in.

My USA coins present a dilemna though, I have not collected them actively in yrs, and in fact my most recent acquisitions were probably 12 yrs ago in the higher end 18th and 19th century material. I have had them a long time, and some I have had going back to when I was quite young, particularly memorable are the large cent acquisitions when I was in the 5th and 6th grades, I bought them with my lunch money. These are pretty pricey coins now, but then I have had them a long time.

Decisions decisions.

At least my father in law got back into collecting about 5 yrs ago, and oh boy does he collect, mostly Morgans and now with no kids to have to supplement he can afford high end stuff. Hopefully that will be me in a few years:)

I know what you mean! 3 kids myself. However, for me other pursuits and luxeries have gone, but music and coins for me are a must. Of course, I am not buying pricey coins either (well every now and then).

My wife and I have two children ourselves. I just made it a point to include them in my coin collecting activities. Even though my budget is limited, I can still enjoy what I can collect and learn along the way. I figure some day that I will expand my coin budget and I will then have a much better knowledge of the coins I collect and will be able to make better decisions on purchasing higher priced coins.

If i ever have kids i'll probably end up selling off the entire collection (again). Coins come, coins go. They're not the most important thing.

Although i would like to think i'd keep a few back, maybe as many as 10 or 20. Generally they'd be the cheaper coins, the sentimental coins and the Æthelstan because it took me 15 years to get one! The rest i could sell and not lose too much sleep over.

Most of us go through the same things. I was actively collecting until we had our first child (we have two, now grown) and the money was needed for other things, the kids included. Since they are sort of "out on thier own" now, I have returned to active collecting for about the last 4 or 5 years. Collecting seems more enjoyable now that it was when I was younger.

That is funny, for me it is almost the opposite. We just had our third child in January, and I am buying more coins than ever before. (Then again, I am not going out to the pubs and clubs as much as before. :ninja: )

More recently I started collecting some Greek city coinages, mostly Black Sea areas, they are staying, I like the history and it ties in with an area I have a continued interest in. 

Did you read this? Mash this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4714103.stm

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Bulgaria unearths Thracian riches

With the amount of good material coing from Bulgaria, you may be back into it sooner than you think. ;-)

I'm getting ready to sell a bunch of stuff myself. I'm just starting to realize that the biggest rip-off in college are the textbooks.

Yeah that is the other thing I am doing at the same time, I am in my last year of school at the end of the month. I am going to have a huge textbook bill.

People have been so kind to me in my time of withdrawl. Many kind coin people have sent me coins for no reason all big surprizes. I went about 3 weeks without purchasing anything. Have to save cash as we are thinking of buying land/home soon.

Archived