CoinPeople.com

My latest buys

Mat25

Yeah i really like them, and all the better when you get a bargain!

Grading still gets me though, but I rekon the 1797 must be a really good VF and the half crown a/EF

Yeah the cartwheels are my favorite copper coins, it was a cartwheel twopence that first got me buying coppers

The twopences are huge though, I heard or read somewhere that sailors around that time hated them and used to use them as weapons by putting them in a sock and hitting their enemys. Certainly would hurt!

Yeah i really like them, and all the better when you get a bargain!

Grading still gets me though, but I rekon the 1797 must be a really good VF and the half crown a/EF

"Really good VF"! That look Extra Fine.. the Half-Crown is XF or higher :ninja:

You have to take into account the imperfections, but they are not too great on your coins, just some light cleaning here and there.

Yeah the cartwheels are my favorite copper coins, it was a cartwheel twopence that first got me buying coppers

The twopences are huge though, I heard or read somewhere that sailors around that time hated them and used to use them as weapons by putting them in a sock and hitting their enemys. Certainly would hurt!

hahaha... :ninja: where'd you get that little anecdote?

Yeah they are good grades, the cartwheel even has lustre on the reverse and from looking at some other cartwheel pennies for sale online it does seem to be around EF or better.

I havnt actually recieved the halfcrown yet but looked good for the money. Can't wait for the postman to arrive!

I did well with the cartwheel, I got it on ebay, it was badly photographed and I took a chance, only cost me £14 delivered, its probably my best find on ebay to date!

As for the story, I think I read it on the net somewhere, seemed to be a reliable source too, I don't know if its true but I know I wouldn't have liked carrying round a few of them in my pocket! youd be a foot shorter by the end of the day.

• 1 month later...

Here are my latest purchases, theres a few as I havn't posted in a while!

1897crown.jpg

A Victorian veiled head 1897 crown in a really good VF

1887crown.jpg

Another Victorian crown, this time a jubilee head 1887 in a/UNC

1817halfcrown.jpg

This is an 1817 George III halfcrown in good VF

1707crown.jpg

A 1707 Queen Anne Edinburgh mint crown in VF (some parts of the legend are slightly weakly struck)

1676crown.jpg

A 1676 Charles II Crown an a/VF (its a shame about the grafitti but it was cheap as a result!)

1638shilling.jpg

A 1638 Charles I shilling in good F (Has been clipped and cleaned but is still a good piece of history!)

1562bsixpence.jpg

A 1562 Elizabeth I sixpence, its hard to grade as its obviously had a bit of a tough life, still a lovely coin though!

henryVIgroat.jpg

And last but not least, a 1422-30 (I think) Calais mint Henry VI groat in VF, could be a mule but still not sure as I can't decide if there is a trefoil to the left of the crown which has been worn, or if there was never a trefoil there and im seeing things!

Thats it for now, I hope you like the coins as much as I do!

Thankyou for you comments! Im glad you like the coins! I can't decide which ones are my favorite, but I do like the Henry VI groat just because of how old it is and who could have handled it over the years.

Yeah its a lovely coin, im very glad I bought it. Hows your collecting going Clive? You any closer to completing your mint run of VF Henry III voided cross pennies?

It's progressing well thank you. A nice William II, (William Rufus), cut halfpenny arrived today which is great!

I'm chasing after a VF+ Coenwulf portrait penny at the moment and have my eye on several other specimens.

As for my Henry III series, well, I've got all of the mints now. I just need to get them all up to VF penny standards; mainly Ilchester, Wallingford, Wilton and Hereford.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my latest acquisitions:

1883halfcrown.jpg

A Queen Victoria Halfcrown From 1883, in a/EF

HenryIIIPenny.jpg

And a Henry III voided longcross penny. I don't really know anything else about this coin so if anyone could give me more information about it like spink number, year etc I would be very gratefull.

HenryIIIPenny.jpg

And a Henry III voided longcross penny. I don't really know anything else about this coin so if anyone could give me more information about it like spink number, year etc I would be very gratefull.

See picture attached; I've brightened the image and drawn on the letters.

270165970_o.jpg

Willem on Lvnd, i.e. Willem on London. Looks to be class Vc which is Spink 1369.

A nice penny indeed, well done! :ninja:

Thanks for the info Clive, you really do know your hammered coinage!!!

so does Willem on London mean that Willem was the moneyer and the coin was minted in London?

Archived