CoinPeople.com

Here's a TPG service to stay away from...

bobh

Anybody ever heard of "Dominion Grading Service"? :ninja:

Here's the auction link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200311590976

In the auction description, the seller says:

"IMPORTANT: authenticity is NOT guaranteed."

Who'd have thought that there were grading companies out there which didn't guarantee authenticity of their slabbed coins?

I love the use of a word "masterpiece" in the description :ninja:

I do not buy from this character. I tried to meet with him/her once to view the coins offered in person (those were pretty expensive to just buy on ebay) . Offered references. The meeting did not happen for no stated reason. But, the rule of thumb is: if seller sells mostly russian coins and with a guarantee, when such guarantee is not offered for a particular coin that coin is a fake and the seller knows about it. Very shady. What is the difference if it is a consignment or not?!

I know this guy in person. He is nice and not a fraud, but unfortunately not very knowledgeable and sometimes makes mistakes by selling coins of questionable authenticity. But this time he did something worse. He must say it from the beginning that those coins are fakes and he sells them as such. I am pretty sure he is aware of what he is selling. About that he did not want to meet in person, I think it makes it reasonable and wise not to meet unknown person somewhere on the street to show expensive items.

WCO

Anybody ever heard of "Dominion Grading Service"? :ninja:

Here's the auction link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200311590976

In the auction description, the seller says: "IMPORTANT: authenticity is NOT guaranteed."

Who'd have thought that there were grading companies out there which didn't guarantee authenticity of their slabbed coins?

Published as a fake in RNS Newsletter No. 19 (spring 2007), page 8.

It almost goes without saying that a responsible grading firm guarantees

authenticity. The seller should know better and probably does.

RWJ

Anybody ever heard of "Dominion Grading Service"? ;)

In the auction description, the seller says:

"IMPORTANT: authenticity is NOT guaranteed."

you are absolutlely right that sounds ridiculous !! ;)

same moment each respectable himself collector will not go with such company because this collector already knows about prestige and trust companys!!! ;)

you know what russian proverb says (about a buyer) - жадность фраера сгубила :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

After a long break, I'm visiting this forum again ;) Just wanted to ask - was the coin in discussion (fake published in JRNS, see above) the Rouble of Peter III MMD (if you click on the link now, you'll see this coin) or has the seller put a new coin on the same listing? This Rouble looks pretty ok to me :ninja:

Guys,

After a long break, I'm visiting this forum again. Just wanted to ask - was the coin in discussion (fake published in JRNS, see above) the Rouble of Peter III MMD (if you click on the link now, you'll see this coin) or has the seller put a new coin on the same listing? This Rouble looks pretty ok to me.

A different coin; the fake was withdrawn.

RWJ

A different coin; the fake was withdrawn.

RWJ

Thanks, RWJ! :ninja: I own a Rouble 1762 MMD (Peter III) with the same die defect (St. George broke away), that's why I was wondering (and a bit scared ;) ) I saw the Roubles 1762 with such defect several times, one was sold on Goldberg 32/3658.

Thanks, RWJ! :ninja: I own a Rouble 1762 MMD (Peter III) with the same die defect (St. George broke away), that's why I was wondering (and a bit scared ;) ) I saw the Roubles 1762 with such defect several times, one was sold on Goldberg 32/3658.

Good to see you being back! Do we meet at Künker?;) Sigi

Good to see you being back! Do we meet at Künker?:ninja: Sigi

Hi Sigi,

Nice to see you here! ;)

I'm preparing now for the recruiting day very soon (looking forward to changing the job) - unfortunately, no auctions this spring ;) almost no time for my beloved hobby...

Nevertheless, interesting things sometimes: Look what I got 2 days ago, you may be interested ;) (look on the wings - transition type: one wing type 1770, another - type 1780):

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=150329271407

Hi Sigi,

Nice to see you here! ;)

I'm preparing now for the recruiting day very soon (looking forward to changing the job) - unfortunately, no auctions this spring ;) almost no time for my beloved hobby...

Nevertheless, interesting things sometimes: Look what I got 2 days ago, you may be interested :ninja: (look on the wings - transition type: one wing type 1770, another - type 1780):

Yes, I saw that one. Congratulations! I have a very similar piece, with two different wings. But I was close to bidding on this one, too. Best, Sigi

Sigi, are you going to Kunker if only to see the display of all 11 1762 10 kopeks in one room? ;);)

Hi Josh, the oversize one is very interesting but has nasty stains, let's see what it fetches. There are quite some other large copper beauties. I am going there hoping that prices have come down. Will tell if I got something. :ninja: Best, Sigi

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sigi,

Nice to see you here! ;)

Nevertheless, interesting things sometimes: Look what I got 2 days ago, you may be interested ;) (look on the wings - transition type: one wing type 1770, another - type 1780):

by RWJ catalog on copper Catherine II piataks in JRNS - this one is S not R, but in either case is a very interesting piece :ninja:

Archived