CoinPeople.com

Kuenker sale 150

bobh

Thanks Bob. The market seems to be getting swamped with Russsian material lately. I don't remeber seeing so much...it's hard to keep up. Probably the stampede out as people guess that was the top of the market. Time will tell if they're right. It's good news for collectors though.

Steve

Amazing! I was looking at some of the overstruck coin and the 1794 AM 5 kopek (lot 2711) is very interesting.

The overstruck 1788 2 kopek (lot 2532) could be interesting - possible triple overstrike instead of the usual two??? Lastly the wallacha coin (lot 2600) is just stunning.

Also when was the last time so many scarce gold coins, platinum ruble, 7 (!!!) Alexander Column and large number of commemorative rubles, pattern coins etc were up in a single auction?!?!?!

Just shocking.

Thanks Bob. The market seems to be getting swamped with Russsian material lately. I don't remeber seeing so much...it's hard to keep up. Probably the stampede out as people guess that was the top of the market. Time will tell if they're right. It's good news for collectors though.

Steve

it looks like Kunker is in an a rush to auction more Russian material as he has ever been auctioned -

about before prices crash, froze or rock...if so, there can be its specialized auctions in April, May...

very popular coins are auctioning in different conditions and in the large quantity, like 10 kop 1762 about a dozen!!!

finnally came a chance for a collector to get one :ninja:

Amazing! I was looking at some of the overstruck coin and the 1794 AM 5 kopek (lot 2711) is very interesting.

The overstruck 1788 2 kopek (lot 2532) could be interesting - possible triple overstrike instead of the usual two??? Lastly the wallacha coin (lot 2600) is just stunning.

Also when was the last time so many scarce gold coins, platinum ruble, 7 (!!!) Alexander Column and large number of commemorative rubles, pattern coins etc were up in a single auction?!?!?!

Just shocking.

LOT 2532 - 3 dates visiable - 1788-1762-1755 - congratulation that noticed that... :ninja:

lot 2600, 2797 -- heart attack :ninja:

Did you check where these heart attacks came from...

as the provenances for Moldawia silver pattern and Alexander portrait 2 copper kopeks

- are not under descriptions...

Kunker is in a big rush...

Alexander has a visiable mark in front of his face... ;)

So,

Are we talking a smattering of "not original" items? Or a "dump" of less than genuine material?

genuine materials came with no provenance :ninja:

and FOUR 1787 Avesta 5 kopeks ;)

over 200 medals in all metals :ninja:

If you ask me, it is not Kunker who is in a rush, I just think that many Russian dealers are trying to free up money and get rid of the piled up inventory.

if someone ask you - you can be right with your point :ninja:

if someone ask me - the auction material is not so bad - russians now have so many respectable auction houses over there and they can handle it in its own walls...Kunker is a dealer himself and this is his business and his earning strategy to be in business and get more sales - why not if folks buying anyway...crisis or about to crisis... ;););)

if someone ask you - you can be right with your point :ninja:

if someone ask me - the auction material is not so bad - russians now have so many respectable auction houses over there and they can handle it in its own walls...Kunker is a dealer himself and this is his business and his earning strategy to be in business and get more sales - why not if folks buying anyway...crisis or about to crisis... ;););)

Gorny used to be a playground of choice, but now it seems to be Kunker. They hired a few Russian speaking assistants and business seems to be going pretty good. Still, I prefer Munich to Osnabruck. Much easier travel arrangements. Good thing we have phones...

Aren't you tired of clapping? ;)

So,

If I bid online and win, will their be a problem getting the material to the USA?

Künker is located in Germany, so why should there be a problem? Obviously, since lots can be seen in person some weeks before the auction, there is no problem since everything is already in Germany.

Shipping out of Russia, however, would be a problem (illegal to export older, pre-1950 items).

I have never seen 11 of the 10kop1762 together in one sale, 8 of them being Bitkin14 and three of them being Bitkin19.

The famous Brekke collection had no less than 4, which had been unheard of at the time, spread on 3 different variants.

The immense Aalborg collection (Copenhagen Russia I-IV) had also comprised as many as 4 pcs (2 catalog variants).

Now there are 11 of them at the same time, but covering only 2 catalog variants. All of them are nice, well above average, look real and individual. Which collector would have collected that way? Which dealer would have compiled that many of alike (R1) coins??

I don't know what to think. Sigi :ninja:

I have never seen 11 of the 10kop1762 together in one sale, 8 of them being Bitkin14 and three of them being Bitkin19.

The famous Brekke collection had no less than 4, which had been unheard of at the time, spread on 3 different variants.

The immense Aalborg collection (Copenhagen Russia I-IV) had also comprised as many as 4 pcs (2 catalog variants).

Now there are 11 of them at the same time, but covering only 2 catalog variants. All of them are nice, well above average, look real and individual. Which collector would have collected that way? Which dealer would have compiled that many of alike (R1) coins??

I don't know what to think. Sigi :ninja:

I would think it could be unwise to sell them all at once like this. The law of supply and demand dictates less price realized for each. (but better for buyers !)

Also, the perception of rarity is de-valued. How can a coin be "R1" if one can find a dozen for sale in one place! amazing.

Also, the perception of rarity is de-valued. How can a coin be "R1" if one can find a dozen for sale in one place! amazing.

Virgil Brand apparently collected this way and often had multiple examples of rare coins.

Of course, he had deep pockets and fewer collectors competing against him. I read somewhere that it was not unusual for him to be the buyer of more than half the lots in the auctions held when he was alive.

Virgil Brand apparently collected this way and often had multiple examples of rare coins.

Of course, he had deep pockets and fewer collectors competing against him. I read somewhere that it was not unusual for him to be the buyer of more than half the lots in the auctions held when he was alive.

The same thing was said about Irving Goodman, I believe.

Archived