CoinPeople.com

Have i gone mad?

Ætheling

Okay maybe i've been playing with the mercury again but i saw a coin, and i fell in love with it. I sat and pondered for a week over whether or not i should buy it or not. GD just knew i was gonna go with the stupid decision...

The reason being is that the coin is over book price... yes over book price. Over Krause by some way. But Krause is Krause and not an accurate price guide. Still i'm forking out a lot more than i perhaps should... ahem.

But at the end of the day this coin has that 'wow' factor i haven't seen in a while on any of the coins i've been looking at for my collection. I had been growing disillusioned with the hobby until late and i need a few really daft impulsive sporadic buys to bring back the excitement...

Usually i collect for history rather than æsthetics, so i usually buy coins that aren't described as eye appealing or beauties, but for one i think i can stray, that and it's French and Louis XVI!

So yeah i'm buying it, a nice 1/10 ecu. Sorry but the wig... the wig got me. How can anyone turn down a wig like that?

900628.jpg

I must be mad... but it's my erm birthday present to myself. :ninja:

To make matters worse this coin isn't even the main reason for doing a deal with this dealer. There is another more important coin i'm buying for my English type set. So i haven't even gone off focus.

You are not the only who take coins over cat. price. I can give you more than 10 examples of recent (XX century) romanian coins available on romanian market only for 300% of Krause evaluation.

For medieval coins I do not want to remember... these are virtually impossible to find.

So, if you want this coin for your soul take it!

40-odd years ago when I was a newby numismatist, I remember that the Red Book had a statement to the effect of this:

"This is only a guide. You may pay substantially over the prices listed here for a superior specimen."

True then and now. Quality is always more expensive. What I've learned since then is that a 'quality' coin holds its value better than a non-quality coin...

it's a beauty, AEtheling. what's the composition?

.900 Silver i believe.

I just love the desgns of these things, i do have a Paris mint 1783 one with a slate grey tone but that's only in VF or so, i been meaning to upgrade a tad... :ninja:

Hmm 1783 and 1788... i think a 1780s date set is in order? Nah. I'll just keep buying nice Louis XVI silver i think regardless of the date or denomination.

We all have to have a general unfocused set somewhere... i found one i like. Perhaps i'll have to revisit George III 1780s coins again? ;)

That is a beautiful design, and nicely struck. Nice catch :ninja:

I don't think you are mad but you have made me mad as I don't have one and that piece of history is really a fantastic coins. There is no way I could walk away from that coin if I had the money to burn in my pocket! Just an outstanding piece of history! Can't blame you a bit for taking that one home! :ninja:

.900 Silver i believe.

I just love the desgns of these things, i do have a Paris mint 1783 one with a slate grey tone but that's only in VF or so, i been meaning to upgrade a tad... ;)

Hmm 1783 and 1788... i think a 1780s date set is in order? Nah. I'll just keep buying nice Louis XVI silver i think regardless of the date or denomination.

.917 silver my friend, 22mm, 2.948 gm.

You do realize of course that you are mad - completely mad :ninja: In fact I think it puts you in the same boat with me ;)

In other words what you're telling me is that I'm my own worst enemy - at least in regard to furthering my own collection :lol:

For you're certainly not the only one that I'm an apparent bad influence on - the number seems to keep on growing daily almost ;) The popularity of what I collect is getting such that it is no longer as affordable as it used to be :cry:

Perhaps I should just go hide and not share my collection with others any more :ninja:

Hmmmm - NOT !! I find it all too enjoyable being a bad influence ;)

Archived