1851WJTaylorTokenMelbExhibition.jpg

1851 W J Taylor token Rev

1851WJTaylorTokenMelbExhibitionRev.jpg

1872 King Billi token - King of Victoria

1872 King Billi token Obv

1872KingBilliToken.jpg

1872 King Billi token Rev

1872KingBilliTokenRev.jpg

1881 Advance New Zealand token - Still checking whether it is Milner and Thompson

1881 Advance New Zealand token Obv

1881AdvanceNewZealandObvUnc.jpg

1881 Advance New Zealand token Rev

1881AdvanceNewZealandRevUnc.jpg

1938 Threepence in Unc - - Edlins auction

1938UncObv.jpg

1938UncRev.jpg

Thanks for that - it is the R370 Milner and Thompson (the large variety) - it is in Unc and that is what is unusual - very hard to fund in Unc - it is that pristine you can actually see all the facial tattoing without a magnifier. I have seen some others where the tattooing is present but not as clear

The King Billi token is probably the finest I have seen - the obverse is in raised relief and again is the best I have ever seen as well. Interesting on the reverse on the pseudo coat of arms is the European concept of what a Kangaroo looked like - it is depicted on top of the coat of arms as a rabbit with big back legs or some type of large rat (unless it was meant to be a ring tailed possum in which case it would be the size of a mini minor). The fauna of Australia was so unfamiliar to the mindset of the time that is the only way the could depict it.

An interesting sidelight is that when the first example of a platypus was sent to England they insisted it was an artificial construct - no one could imagine an egg laying mammal that had a duckbill, fur and a poisonous spur.

The Taylor token is also superb for when it was made

They were not cheap but a friend was clearing out his holdings before going after a new coin that's going to cost a penny or two and offered them to me so I snapped them up along with a few pre decimal Australian coins

Yes I am beginning to wonder at what is happening in the market - the top end (pre decimals and proofs) is way overpriced and the self managed super funds seem to be buying a lot of top coins.

At least a lot stuff that has not been on the market for years is starting to see the light of day.

Russian coins are another area that are getting amazing prices - I went to a Downies auction last year and thought I would be in the chase. The first lot I was interested in had an estimate of 350AUS but the bidding opened at 2450AUS from the postals. An English buyer ended up buying 90% of the Russian stuff mostly at twice or more (as above) the estimates.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
It is a penny.

I am forgetting these tokens were back in the era when denomination was based on size.

If you want to see some wonderful conders, you need only look where I was looking in the early hours last night....

http://www.nobleinvestmentsplc.co.uk/onlin...asso?cfs=Tokens

Archived