CoinPeople.com

Curiosities from a recent hoard

NumisMattic2200

I got a nice hoard for about a tenner last Sunday - these are the more interesting ones; all of them seem quite scrappy, but fascinating all the same. ;) ;) :ninja:

2920576.jpg

e0rcqo.jpg

34q4pjp.jpg

2z9k7c3.jpg

I think this is Sicily - i.e. 'grano'

33wuyw7.jpg

2yln1xg.jpg

73ow85.jpg

m950sp.jpg

Anyone with information on these, please feel welcome to impart ;)

Very nice coins Matt!

Number 2 looks like an 1806 Penny, many of these, including the hated cartwheels, would have been shipped over to Australia for use as currency and so some wold have been engraved as advertisements. Like this one with a family grocers in Melbourne, interesting piece of history!

Clive.

I was interested in the Britannia. I've never seen that before but it is the obvious inspiration for this 2007 Britannia. The mint seems to have found better engravers in the interim.

earlyBritannia.jpg

2007Britannia2.jpg

Britannia has appeared on many coins since Charles II, (1672), and is still found on our circulating currency although that will change as the Royal Mint are issuing jigsaw coins... :ninja:

Clive.

Britannia has appeared on many coins since Charles II, (1672), and is still found on our circulating currency although that will change as the Royal Mint are issuing jigsaw coins... :ninja:

Clive.

I've previously seen a couple of old Britannia coins but I thought it noteworthy that the 2 coins are virtually thematically identical with the exception of the inclusion of the lion in the later coin.

Archived