CoinPeople.com

Is this really MS-63?

bobh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Common 1818 (like this one on Ebay) is the most often seen coin of the series.

Agreed. Here's how I see them appearing in my database:

1811 5%

1812 6%

1813 8%

1814 5%

1815 5%

1816 4%

1817 15%

1818 24%

1819 5%

1820 3%

1821 1%

1822 6%

1823 4%

1824 5%

1825 2%

1818 is easily the most common.

Steve

Agreed. Here's how I see them appearing in my database:

1811 5%

1812 6%

1813 8%

1814 5%

1815 5%

1816 4%

1817 15%

1818 24%

1819 5%

1820 3%

1821 1%

1822 6%

1823 4%

1824 5%

1825 2%

1818 is easily the most common.

Steve

1821 was the only one I did not find. Your database explains why :ninja:

Trip down the memory lane - years ago I bought BU 1818 on Ebay for $50. Common 1818 (like this one on Ebay) is the most often seen coin of the series.

This one brought $3,011.12 from a US buyer. GHV was right on the money.

Incidentally, the seller added new photos of the coin taken in the slab (LINK) which reinforce my belief that this is a nice coin. Evidently, the bidders thought so too.

I regularly check this seller's inventory and I have noticed the same thing. Very often the pictures are not posted until the very end of the auction.

As a matter of fact I was unable to bring up the pictures today. There is a statement that the pictures will be posted at a later time.

Quote:

КАРТИНКИ: Картинки добавлю в течении 1-2 суток с момента начала аукциона.

IMAGES: Images will be added within 1-2 days from the auction start.

In my opinion, this is a relatively nice coin. MS63 is a middle grade that implies that the coin has some negatives. This coin seems to have adequate luster, an important factor. The strike is what one would expect from a die that is heavily cracked and therefore has seen a great deal of service. The numbers are probably applied with india ink, a common inventory method by old collectors and museums. India ink is a black carbon pigment in an aqueous solution, far different from the inks that are in use today. Acetone will not dissolve carbon. The carbon has probably penetrated the metal pores, and any attempt to remove it would most likely further damage the coin's surface.

Many coins coming out of old collections had such identification marks, as have already been mentioned, and this fact alone should not disqualify a coin from being slabbed. The degree to which the marks damage the coin's surface and appearance would probably be the factor that determined whether to slab or not to slab. Along this same line, I believe that the grading companies do slab coins with chinese chop marks providing that the marks are not too disfiguring. They are part of the historical context of the coin - and to some, make the coin more interesting, not less.

Marv Finnley

• 2 weeks later...
1810 and 1826 are birds of a different feather..... :ninja:

What did you mean by this phrase ? (and laughing so "hysterically") ?

Have you ever heard of 1810 and 1826 roubles of same series as 1811-1825?

I can show you some pictures ...

Or just look in Bitkin (if you have one) #97 (Alexander I) and #96 (Nicholas I) - edition 2.

Yes.. my mistake. I was thinking off the top of my head. :ninja: But indeed there are roubles of this series with those dates, which overlap the preceeding and following ruble types. They are, according to the references, much scarcer than the years listed above.

Like I said, if you speak of rarity... And, 1810 new design is way beyond "scarce" I would say very rare to extremely rare. As to 1826, scarce, but not very hard. I just saw it somewhere (do not remember) on sale for a reasonable amount of money.

What did you mean by this phrase ? (and laughing so "hysterically") ?

Have you ever heard of 1810 and 1826 roubles of same series as 1811-1825?

I can show you some pictures ...

Or just look in Bitkin (if you have one) #97 (Alexander I) and #96 (Nicholas I) - edition 2.

The 1826 does appear on rare occasion but the 1810, in my experience, is more

difficult than the 1826. Luckily I picked both up in the mid 1980s when prices were

a little more reasonable than today. I am, however, missing two pieces from this

series: 1814 rouble with no mintmaster initials and the 1818 with eagle of 1810.

RWJ

Thank you, RWJ.

I have difficulty differentiating the 1810 eagle vs. the common 1818 eagle. Do you (or anyone) have a good tip or photos of a direct comparison? (I did finally buy your book, RWJ, but I havent checked there yet, since this discussion came up)

Look on p. 88 ... the three eagles are all depicted there. :ninja:

thanks bobh.. ill check tonight! :ninja:

I have the 1818, but im pretty sure its just the normal bird. Not the early bird.

;)

"I have found 38 Variety of 1818 ...EXTREMELY RARE and IMPORTANT with eagle of 1810/1811 ,to buy this coin I have spent 20 years to find this coin for my collection and finally I have found just couple days back ..."

K.Kochergin.

Numismatic Gurnal "Staraya Moneta" 1910y N 8 Page 5

Like I said, if you speak of rarity... And, 1810 new design is way beyond "scarce" I would say very rare to extremely rare. As to 1826, scarce, but not very hard. I just saw it somewhere (do not remember) on sale for a reasonable amount of money.

This year alone I saw 1826 for sale 3-4 times. The latest one sold last week in Italy for 2000 Euro plus the juice. It was about XF.

1810 I saw for sale 3 times in the last 10+ years. All of them (2 coins, one was for sale twice) surfaced in the past 2-3 years.

This year alone I saw 1826 for sale 3-4 times. The latest one sold last week in Italy for 2000 Euro plus the juice. It was about XF.

1810 I saw for sale 3 times in the last 10+ years. All of them (2 coins, one was for sale twice) surfaced in the past 2-3 years.

Anyone know of a reference that estimates the mintages of the 1826 for old and new designs? Total mintage for both 1826 rouble designs is listed at 700,000+

Marv Finnley

Archived