CoinPeople.com

Why toned coins?

zjemller

No you are not alone. But what you really need to ask is if toning is damage, then the thread will take off. Actually there should be one on this forum somewhere :ninja:

Why do people like toned coins? I really don't get it, to me tonning is like rust. I'd rather have a circulated coin than an UNC toned coin. Am I the only one? :ninja:

Most toned coins are really artificially toned -- sometimes done on purpose, and sometimes as the result (side effect) of cleaning. Like you, I never really liked toned coins until I picked up a few that were really very interesting:

USA 1882-S Morgan dollar (crescent toning on reverse)

With toning like this, I think it is safe to assume that the toning has happened naturally as the result of lying in a canvas bag for decades, most of the coin being covered by another coin, and the part not covered has toned over time by exposure to the environment.

Here is an Indian cent -- don't know why or how this one toned like it did, but it looks really very nice IMHO:

Indian Cent 1889

No you are not alone. But what you really need to ask is if toning is damage, then the thread will take off. Actually there should be one on this forum somewhere :ninja:

Whatever do you mean????

On one side of the coin, you have the fact of the matter that toning is simply corrosion which by definition is gradual destruction of a metal or alloy. Toning is most obviously by definition damage. Because of this fact, there are a number of collectors who abhor such a condition on their coins.

On the other side of the coin, sometimes a change in hair color does a person good. simple highlights or an outright change from blonde to black just gives that further appeal to a person. Why not with a coin? Toning, although damage (just like bleaching and dying hair), to some will add that additional eye appeal. Since eye appeal is one of the attributes we all use in grading, a coin may very well become more desirable and seemingly a higher grade to one than another BECAUSE of the damage.

How can damage be considered appealing or even carry any form of premium when it is damage??? Simple! It's what some people collect! Why do chop marks (which IS damage) bring a premium? Because their are people who specifically collect coins with chop marks! Overstrikes?? Same thing! People collect them! What about die caps? Talk about DAMAGE!!! Well, they hold a nice premium over the planchet value because it IS collected!

Anything that appeals to people, regardless of the damage, will be collected. And being collected, it will hold a premium from the right person. There are people who even collect MDD coins, which with most collectors hold no premium value, yet, there are those who are willing to pay a premium.

Damage is damage is damage is somebody's absolute treasure.

Whatever do you mean????

On one side of the coin, you have the fact of the matter that toning is simply corrosion which by definition is gradual destruction of a metal or alloy. Toning is most obviously by definition damage. Because of this fact, there are a number of collectors who abhor such a condition on their coins.

On the other side of the coin, sometimes a change in hair color does a person good. simple highlights or an outright change from blonde to black just gives that further appeal to a person. Why not with a coin? Toning, although damage (just like bleaching and dying hair), to some will add that additional eye appeal. Since eye appeal is one of the attributes we all use in grading, a coin may very well become more desirable and seemingly a higher grade to one than another BECAUSE of the damage.

How can damage be considered appealing or even carry any form of premium when it is damage??? Simple! It's what some people collect! Why do chop marks (which IS damage) bring a premium? Because their are people who specifically collect coins with chop marks! Overstrikes?? Same thing! People collect them! What about die caps? Talk about DAMAGE!!! Well, they hold a nice premium over the planchet value because it IS collected!

Anything that appeals to people, regardless of the damage, will be collected. And being collected, it will hold a premium from the right person. There are people who even collect MDD coins, which with most collectors hold no premium value, yet, there are those who are willing to pay a premium.

Damage is damage is damage is somebody's absolute treasure.

There are a number of metals with which the surface layer of oxidation protects the underlying metal, the "patina" on copper for instance.

For me it comes down to distinguishing the difference betwixt AT(artificial toning) and NT(natural toning), naturally toned coins like the 1889 cent linked above are IMHO lovely, whilst AT coins are not. They are the ones that are heated with blow torches, ovens, chemically etc. I do not care for them. Some people like them, and you will see their opins in this thread. It is a matter of tastes and desire. Like the poster above said, some people like blondes, some brunettes, and there are the ones that like those redheads :ninja:

Like the poster above said, some people like blondes, some brunettes, and there are the ones that like those redheads :ninja:

Redheads indeed, but only NT redheads! ;)

Actually I was quite surprised when I first got into American coin forums and noticed how some people would show their toned coins around. My first reaction would be, and still is, something like "ugh". But to each his own ...

Christian

There are a number of metals with which the surface layer of oxidation protects the underlying metal, the "patina" on copper for instance.

Not true of Copper. Aluminum is such a metal that the oxydation process forms an Aluminum Oxide layer that adhears to the rest of the material. Cetain Steels are produced that have that effect for the outside of buildings. HOWEVER, the so called patina on Copper, which is usually green, is not such a substance and once started will and does continue. This normal CuO combines further with H OH and CO2 to continue forming Copper Carbonate. If CuO is present on Copper and in the vicinity of SO or SO2, an additional formation of Copper Sulfide or Sulfate will result. It continues until all Copper is absorbed. This is one of the largest problems with a Copper Grounding system in areas where the ground has been contaminated with any forms of Sulfur from the previous burning of Sulfur Rich Coals. In the Illinois area ComEd has in many places resorted to Lead covered Copper Grounding systems due to this effect.

Summation is once Copper starts to combine with other elements it will not cease until a system is attained to stop such a reaction.

Can gold coins be tonned?

If no than toning should be corosion. NO? :ninja:

The gold itself can vary, according to where it was mined etc. Any discolourisation will be due to impurities in the gold. Most gold coins are alloyed with copper or silver, and those metals tone much more so than gold. The reason for alloying is to make the coin harder, more resistant to damage from circulation. Pure gold, or .999 fine coins would never last long in circulation.

1854ten.jpg

This has a dull tone to it, mainly because of the copper alloy in it. When it was new 154 years ago it was much brighter of course. This coin is .900 fine which was standard for US gold coins from 1838-1839 on up to 1933. The remaining metal was made up of copper, with trace amounts of silver for colour.

If I like a particular coin's design I buy it whether its toned or bright white.

But keep in mind that most bright white coins may have been dipped.

I also think that a natural patina or skin to the coin adds beauty.

They also say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like toned coins, but I would not like or buy an ugly designed coin even if the toning was nice.

These are a few examples of why I collect coins.

Not only the toning is nice it enhances the great coin design.

1846RussiaroubleMS63pcgs.jpg

wallpaper18743GOFR8Reales.jpg

1913BuffalotypeI-1.jpg

1693KBThalerHungaryLeopold.jpg

Although many think Gold can not tarnish, discolor, tone, etc. in reality it too is effected by some elements that will create a toning effect. by the way corrosion, toning, tarnishing, rusting are all terms that are similar in nature to indicate a compounding of one element of compound with other substances.

Gold, for instance will combine with Sulfur to form Au2S. This is the BR/BK discolorazions found on some Gold Coins. AuCl3 is a none Gold Chloride and Gold can be made into an acid also, HAuCl4. Many substances will combine with Gold but just not easily. Gold can also be effected by Fluorine, Cyanide and also dissolves in Mercury.

I've always classed AT with the enamelling crowd. An interesting aspect of the hobby but certainly not numismatics. Still if someone wishes to collect toenail clippings who should quibble about whether they are varnished or not :ninja:;)

Still if someone wishes to collect toenail clippings who should quibble about whether they are varnished or not ;);)

:ninja:

Toning is a process and not an end state, so I always look at heavily toned coins and imagine what they will look like in 50 years. If you have a toned coin that looks just great, best to seal it off from the environment as much as possible. Anything to slow the process down. On the other hand, if you have a blast-white, cleaned coin, just pop it into a cardboard-based coin album and wait.

Archived