CoinPeople.com

What am I missing here?

bobh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the RCAR (Russian Coins Arms Race).

For various socio-economic reasons, Russian coins are hot. Various forces are driving the prices up. Sometime this results in a hobby wide increase in cost. As for eBay, there is a general rise in prices with some vendors going for the gold (pun intended) when it comes to setting openning price. Another factor is the rise of gold prices. I often estimate melt value of the gold and subtract that from the price to get an idea of what the value of the coin is set with out metal costs.

The key is collecting for the pleasure and scholarship of collecting. The RCAR will hopefully die-out and the hobby can be enjoyed and not prospected as a cash cow.

But if prices continue on there meteoric rise, then I may have to sell the lot and live a life of indulgent excess. So, when a gangut ruble in VF hits 1 million dollars, wake me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIA-1910-GOLD-10-RU...1QQcmdZViewItem

I could buy for this sum of money a couple of years ago 10 Rouble from the period of AIII. So what? At this moment, it is getting easier to buy the Russian coins in the States and sell them at least for doubled value in Russia. Partly because there are a lot of DOLLARS now in Russia. Just recently, I have sold 5 Rouble 1909 M66 for $2000. A couple of years ago $375 was a high price for that coin. People are considering to invest the money, especially in Russia, in something real. Not just the paper DOLLARS.

I agree, there is a huge demand in Russia for Imperial Russian coins, a lot of investors and dealers are emerging. They love certified coins, since the chance to be cheated is pretty low compare to raw coins, which are usually either cleaned, faked or have some kind of hidden flaws, which most sellers don't like to disclose.

2 years ago, there were hardly any buyers from Russia and very few people (if any) were investing in coins. Now more than 50%+ buyers of Russian coins on Ebay are from Russia or ex Soviet Republics. Most of them are Russian coin dealers, who sell them for much more back in Russia. If you've been following Russian coin market, you would know that it's been booming for at least last 5 years with prices being increasing by 10%-30% per year and 300% in the last 2 years.

Also, gold price almost doubled in 1 year and analyst predict another 20% increase this year. I wouldn't be surprised that this 1897 15 Roubles MS-61 will be selling for $1500 by the end of the year and would say it's very likely. There is always a risk that prices on Russian coins will go down, but it's much less riskier than investing in any stock market, if you ask me.

So, buying certified coins is pretty sure way to make some return after some time and with Russian coins it's been 10% per month lately. On the other hand you can easily loose money buying raw coins, which might look nice on pictures, but in reality might have a lot problems and you will be lucky to sell them for the same price.

I agree, there is a huge demand in Russia for Imperial Russian coins, a lot of investors and dealers are emerging. They love certified coins, since the chance to be cheated is pretty low compare to raw coins, which are usually either cleaned, faked or have some kind of hidden flaws, which most sellers don't like to disclose.

2 years ago, there were hardly any buyers from Russia and very few people (if any) were investing in coins. Now more than 50%+ buyers of Russian coins on Ebay are from Russia or ex Soviet Republics. Most of them are Russian coin dealers, who sell them for much more back in Russia. If you've been following Russian coin market, you would know that it's been booming for at least last 5 years with prices being increasing by 10%-30% per year and 300% in last 2 years.

Also, gold price almost doubled in 1 year and analyst predict another 20% increase this year. I wouldn't be surprised that this 1897 15 Roubles MS-61 will be selling for $1500 by the end of the year and would say it's very likely. There is always a risk that prices on Russian coins will go down, but it's much less riskier than investing in any stock market, if you ask me.

Ilya, you are correct, if we check US coins prices...- russian coins still cheap ;)

Good coins always cost a lot. And price for 15r ms61 really normal, i should say even low :ninja:

since regular cleaned XF-AU worth about 700/800

Ilya, you are correct, if we check US coins prices...- russian coins still cheap ;)

Good coins always cost a lot. And price for 15r ms61 really normal, i should say even low ;)

since regular cleaned XF-AU worth about 700/800

What do you think of this one?

5 roubles 1899-EB (wants more than $4,000) ;):ninja:

ЭБ initials is a little bit rarer than ФЗ for this year but not that much. And the prices for both coins were approximately in the same range. This coin has a low grade to be sold for this amount of money. Even if it was MS65 it should not cost such money.

MS68? What can I do for a lady :ninja:

http://www.mkjassociates.com/cgi-bin/ilgvu...44&lot=4138

<mintmasters not really make different in price

in this particular case, it is not, but sometimes it is. Please find me 1901 AP MS65 5 Rouble for $1000 in NGC slab and I'll buy it from you.

Amazing grade, considering that the picture shows what look like several hairline scratches, both on the obverse and reverse! ;)

Still, this realized only $1,800 ... much less than $4,000! ;)

Amazing grade, considering that the picture shows what look like several hairline scratches, both on the obverse and reverse! ;)

Still, this realized only $1,800 ... much less than $4,000! :ninja:

<much less than $4,000!

bobh, to be honest, I would never pay $4000 for such coin even in MS70. It's like the saying "Forget about it". I may be blind but I saw a bunch of coins from this period, especially in gold, and I beleive it is just slab-selling crap. Everything above MS67 for Russian coins (1700-1917) looks just funny. Just like in Olympic Games. My grade is higher than yours. ;)

MS68? What can I do for a lady :ninja:

in this particular case, it is not, but sometimes it is. Please find me 1901 AP MS65 5 Rouble for $1000 in NGC slab and I'll buy it from you.

Cheburgen,

I have 1901-AR 5 Rubles NGC MS-62 for $1,350.

http://www.worldcoinsonline.com/page.php?p...p;itemid=000211

I would pay more than that for your MS-65 coin. Want to sell? After all there were only seven 1901-AR 5 Rubles graded by NGC in all MS grades (VS to over 3000 1901-FZ 5 Rubles). Comparable to other 5 Rubles 1901-AR in MS grades appears to be much scarcer than popular 1909 5 Rubles.

1899-EB becomes very scarce in MS grades and should have adequate premium.

Regards,

WCO

MS68? What can I do for a lady ;)

it is impossible to find 1901 AP MS65 for $1000.... your price could be close to MS62 max.

MS65 should be not less than $1800 for today, no matter what mintmaster.

and that MS68 i saw it, for 1900 price is OK. but if that could be 1898 or 99 it could worth at least 3-4k for today's market prices. :ninja:

Cheburgen,

I have 1901-AR 5 Rubles NGC MS-62 for $1,350.

http://www.worldcoinsonline.com/page.php?p...p;itemid=000211

I would pay more than that for your MS-65 coin. Want to sell? After all there were only seven 1901-AR 5 Rubles graded by NGC in all MS grades (VS to over 3000 1901-FZ 5 Rubles). Comparable to other 5 Rubles 1901-AR in MS grades appears to be much scarcer than popular 1909 5 Rubles.

1899-EB becomes very scarce in MS grades and should have adequate premium.

Regards,

WCO

Ilya,

I have sent a message about your coin to the guys in Russia who wanted to buy the such coin this morning. I saw it on your website. First for $1250 in the morning and then for $1750 in the evening. The only problem with selling such coins, IMHO, is to find a real collector, who knows what he is buying.

Regards,

Sergey

Ilya,

Why don't you do a little favor for a lady and sell her MS65 FZ 1901 5 Rouble for $1800. I know that you have one. :ninja: I got 3 or 4 of them but she is too far from me. ;)

it is impossible to find 1901 AP MS65 for $1000.... your price could be close to MS62 max.

Ilya,

Why don't you do a little favor for a lady and sell her MS65 FZ 1901 5 Rouble for $1800. I know that you have one. ;) I got 3 or 4 of them but she is too far from me. ;)

I am asking just $295 for $1800 coin. :ninja:

Here it is: http://www.worldcoinsonline.com/page.php?p...p;itemid=000214

Same year just different mintmaster.

Regards,

WCO

Ilya,

Why don't you do a little favor for a lady and sell her MS65 FZ 1901 5 Rouble for $1800. I know that you have one. :ninja: I got 3 or 4 of them but she is too far from me. ;)

do not worry i can be very close and will buy all your 3-4 ... including your user name, is it copyright? what is condition? probably VF25 cleaned...

p.s. I missunderstand (this is for stupid people) and when was talking about ms65 $1800 was thinking about 1899 dates...

and regular 1901 fz ms65 I can give you for $250....

I am asking just $295 for $1800 coin. :ninja:

Here it is: http://www.worldcoinsonline.com/page.php?p...p;itemid=000214

Same year just different mintmaster.

Regards,

WCO

$295 is a quite fair price for the coin you are selling, considering what is now happening at Ebay. People are looking for rarities. I have recently seen 10 Rouble 1911 MS62 sold for $1800 or something. ;) THE RARE COIN. ;)

$295 is a quite fair price for the coin you are selling, considering what is now happening at Ebay. People are looking for rarities. I have recently seen 10 Rouble 1911 MS62 sold for $1800 or something. :ninja: THE RARE COIN. ;)

wrong info Mister Chebirgen....but still prices are crazy for this regular date.

P.S yes, sometimes happens with everybody.. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250191719449

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150210179154

do not worry i can be very close and will buy all your 3-4 ... including your user name, is it copyright? what is condition? probably VF25 cleaned...

p.s. I missunderstand (this is for stupid people) and when was talking about ms65 $1800 was thinking about 1899 dates...

and regular 1901 fz ms65 I can give you for $250....

<will buy all your 3-4 ... including your user name, is it copyright?

I'm very sorry, I have happened did not understand this part.

<what is condition? probably VF25 cleaned...

MS65, 66 NGC

<p.s. I missunderstand (this is for stupid people) and when was talking about ms65 $1800 was thinking about 1899 dates...

Sometime it happens.

Archived