CoinPeople.com

Breaking in my first Krause

slowly but surely

I recently got my first book on world coins, KM 1901-present. When I told my mom about it she went and dug out a great hoard of coins for me. I remember her having them around when I was a kid. She's well traveled and got some from friends so I was excited to look them all up. Well I just got done looking up the very last coin, a 1971 Nepal 5 Paisa that had stumped me for a while. Final tally, 59 countries accounted for, hardly any duplicates, with 28 different types from Mexico being the largest contribution. And amazingly, only one coin (from the 1890s) wasn't in the book.

I learned a lot and it was a great way to get to know the catalog.

The town where I live has three wonderful libraries full of numismatic reference books. US coins, world coins, paper money, everything...

When I get tense I take a 5 minute drive and spend an hour or two pouring through these volumes.

Better than therapy! :ninja:

The 1901-2000 issue is the worst one of the bunch. They use the cheapest paper they can find. The other issues use a better quality paper. I just updated my set of Krauses last July/August.

I wish they could make a full color edition!!! I would buy one.

Archived