CoinPeople.com

Anyone notice tarnishing...

thedeadpoint

When I was home last, I saw an ugly brown disc in a drawer of keys. It was a Sacagewea. I think a lot of us complain that her finish and subsequent toning was ugly. Even after only a few months in "circulation" they are gross looking and would easily win a Ugly Coin Idol comp.

But has anyone noticed that ugly brown toning with the presidential dollar coins?

I haven't seen them enough to detect toning changes.

I have found them to tone rather nicely so far. Here is one I have carried around:

washtone.jpg

Here is my adams dollar after some time 'in pocket' :ninja:

adamsdollar.jpg

no spotty toning...not what I think you are refering to at least. I have yet to see that...but most I see are pretty close to uncirculated save for the ones I have carried with me for a few weeks.

adamsdollarsd.jpg

then again when you get real close in, maybe there is a bit of dark spotting ;)

I haven't noticed toning, but I did find one buried on my desk that I had placed in a pvc flip for some reason, and the pvc really likes these coins! It was completely coated with a white residue, I wiped it off and then spent it.

Lol, you're the person who ruins the finds that I get in my change :ninja:

When I first got the GW $1 coins I kept two out in my room. After a couple weeks I decided I would start collecting the series so I went to the bank and picked up a roll. When I brought back the roll from my bank I was surprised how side-by-side the first couple coins I had sitting out prior had already started to turn noticeably darker than the "newer" coins. The two coins didn't turn quite as dark as my 2000 Sac's though, but I do imagine if I kept the coins sitting out longer they would have. I haven't seen a Sac from circulation in years so I couldn't say how much darker they get than what I have. However, I can tell you that I cleaned one of them recently and when cleaned the coin shined just like a new Presidential series $1 coin! :ninja:

Archived