CoinPeople.com

Some finds at local coin show

squirrel

I had some good luck at the local coin show last weekend. The Siberia 2K has what i think might be an overdate 8/7 :ninja: .

Good eye! Yes, the 1768/7 is a known overdate on the Siberian 2K (I've seen at least one other) but it's not very common.

Steve

The dealer was a bit surprised i picked the 2K out of a tray of High end Russian coins. I was looking at his Siberia 10K's (he had 3 diff dates) and some early 1700's Rubles, and a 12 Ruble Platinum, ( I didnt even ask price on that one) but they were all WAY pricey. I just wanted a better 2k than the one i had, and it was reasonably priced. I think he was surprised by the overdate, because he surely would have tagged it as such, and in fact, i think he hesitated at his price when he caught the overdate. He kept looking closely at the coin, but then he just smiled, knowing i would be pleasantly surprised when i looked at it closer.

Thanks guys. :ninja:

The Pyatak is actually my favorite of the 3. 1781 is the rarest year KM, and not easy to find in any grade. It looks even better in person, razor sharp UNC, but unfortunately the crowns on both sides did not strike up well.

You may want to check the rim of the 5 kopeks. I have seen several "copies" of this type.

Hopefully, this is not the case here.

Regards,

The rim is a perfect KM edge, with one tiny ding. There is also a reverse die break that matches one i found in an online auction archive. It rings like a church bell, and if anything, it could be a Novodel.

Very nice, Josh! :ninja:

I agree with you about the 1781-KM pyatak ... most of the time, the KM mint coins are found in very worn condition; yours is probably the nicest I've ever seen! As to being a possible novodel, the one listed for 1781-KM by Brekke would have to look like the 1787-KM novodel (#263), wouldn't it? The dies are certainly different; I think it would be a Class 2 novodel. Yours is undoubtedly the regular strike.

BTW, I saw the pictures earlier today when I looked at this thread on a different computer (Windows XP) ... right now, all I can see is the date detail in your first post. Where did the other pictures go? Or is it just because I'm now reading this on my Linux Ubuntu box? Shouldn't be any different ... ;)

Very nice, Josh! :ninja:

I agree with you about the 1781-KM pyatak ... most of the time, the KM mint coins are found in very worn condition; yours is probably the nicest I've ever seen! As to being a possible novodel, the one listed for 1781-KM by Brekke would have to look like the 1787-KM novodel (#263), wouldn't it? The dies are certainly different; I think it would be a Class 2 novodel. Yours is undoubtedly the regular strike.

BTW, I saw the pictures earlier today when I looked at this thread on a different computer (Windows XP) ... right now, all I can see is the date detail in your first post. Where did the other pictures go? Or is it just because I'm now reading this on my Linux Ubuntu box? Shouldn't be any different ... ;)

Thanks Bob, I dont know whats up with the computer.. i think it must be on your end, i havent changed anything. The coin images are links to omnicoin, and the date detail was uploaded directly to coin people. Thanks for the Novodel info. Im pretty sure its a regular strike, and seeing Steves image now i have no doubts.

Hi Josh, first of all let me say that I like your Squirrel face much better than your earlier coin picture avatar !

If you are dissatified with the crowns of your 5kop1781KM.... I'd swap (see my coin below) :ninja:;) ;)

Brekke's 2kop1768KM was way inferior to yours.

As the 2kop1768/7KM is not included in the Brekke/Bakken overdate listing it must be pretty rare.

Two very enviable coins indeed -

congratulations! Sigi

5kop1781kmns8.jpg

By sigistenz

Thanks Bob, I dont know whats up with the computer.. i think it must be on your end, i havent changed anything. The coin images are links to omnicoin, and the date detail was uploaded directly to coin people. Thanks for the Novodel info. Im pretty sure its a regular strike, and seeing Steves image now i have no doubts.

Hmmm ... now the pictures are back! Strange; but I'm very happy because now I can see your 1781-KM pyatak again! :ninja:

Hi Sigi! Thanks for posting your 1781 KM! Its interesting to see that on all 3 of these, yours, Brekke sale, and mine, the crowns did not strike up. Does this suggest a problem with this particular die pair, or perhaps a misalignment of dies causing weakness at 12 oclock? Ive seen other examples of 1781 KM with a well struck crown. Very interesting.

actually, the 1768 KM 2 kop. is listed in the Brekke/Bakken supplement.. there is another table on the next page for Siberia. I almost missed it too. :ninja:

Steve: Wow, thanks for pulling that out of the database! I second GX's offer of assistance. If there is anyway a volunteer could work on that project online, remotely, i can contribute some time. I work full time, but i have rather basic photoshop skills, and extremely slow typing skills to contribute. I understand the question of image ownership, and that is a difficult one to get past. I wonder if it was declared a "not for profit" effort, that would exempt you from copyright issues?

There are two options that I can see, that is either work with the auction houses like what coinarchives.com has done or alternatively, make it completely remote, i.e. private. A real shame but being sued for copyright issues is not fun. I don't remember anywhere in any law that actually forbids the transfer of such catalogues into digital organization methods which then gets manipulated. The only issue is when people start to sell such catalogues or even distribute them in a way that the original issuer to lose profit which is then a serious issue. That is how Krause decided to get into dvd collection of their catalogues as people in Eastern Europe has scanned them and they are actually more saleable because of it's low prices as well as the shipping issue.

I do like the format of coinarchives.com but I'm afraid it's actually quite limited and the organization is actually quite messy in my opinion, i.e. I would prefer to arrange it by year but I don't see that option. What would be more interesting is that if we can push it to rearrange years, record varieties AND catagorize them, which will be a real mammoth task but not impossible. I'm sure Bob has someone up his sleeves. :ninja:

actually, the 1768 KM 2 kop. is listed in the Brekke/Bakken supplement.. there is another table on the next page for Siberia. I almost missed it too. :ninja:

I would like to correct this. The 1768/7 is NOT in the Brekke/Bakken supplement, just as Sigi said. I misread the table. I was looking at the 1778/7 Siberia 2k by mistake. oops.

Archived