CoinPeople.com

jack nicklaus £5 note

San_Miguel98

Probably offering the note and will pick it up before the auction ends.

It's a neat looking note. Someday...

That is a very nice looking note.Isn't Jack Nicklaus an American? He is not a Scotsman.

Aidan.

yep, he's an american. the bank of scotland has been actively sponsoring golf tournaments for several years, and is now going through a golf phase on their banknotes as well. last year it was the royal & ancient st. andrews golf club commemorative, and now it's jack nicklaus. lets see what next year brings.

I had never heard of the man, i even had to ask what he was famous for. Oh dear... i'm so out of touch these days.

Why not Tiger Woods though? Someone i've actually heard of? :ninja: (Well that's my full compendium of famous golfer knowledge). Never did take much interest in the game as far as watching people play it goes. But i have to admit it's a decent game to play. I tried it once and i thoroughly enjoyed it, i dunno why i didn't take it up actually.

heheh...never heard of jack nicklaus? i'm no golfer either, but his name was on so many video games growing up, it was hard avoiding him.

anyway, the bank of scotland is one of jack's major sponsors and this year's british open is his last tournament. as nike puts their athletes on shoes, and wheaties cereal puts theirs on cereal boxes, the bank decided to honor their greatest golfer's retirement with an appearance on their notes.

http://www.rbs-sports.com/golf/profile1/index.aspx

I never had video games when i was growing up, well except Sonic the Hedgehog and stuff like Pacman, Tetris and Space Invaders. Mortal Kombat too, Road Rash etc. But i was much older before i got the Sega, and i didn't really take to it. I've got a playstation somewhere but can i remember where i put it? Infact until now i had forgot i'd got it.

I wasn't much of a sports person, i avoided it, i still do. Which is perhaps why i never came across him before now.

Still it seems like a fitting gesture to include him on a banknote.

I had never heard of the man, i even had to ask what he was famous for. Oh dear... i'm so out of touch these days.

Why not Tiger Woods though? Someone i've actually heard of? ;) ...

Because Tiger Woods has yet to break Nicklaus' record of having the most Major Tournament wins. :ninja:

For me there is perhaps no name more famous in golf, with possibly the exception of Arnold Palmer.

Well, there are people out there how actually use notes for what they're made for: paying

I fold and crease crisp £5 notes (often in sequence) nearly every day. Infact i kinda enjoy it, it's nice being able to have a nice new crisp note to spend rather than a ragged, torn in half and sellotaped together dogeared fiver that spent some time in a puddle before being picked up by some lucky person. Usually not me... :ninja:

How such nasty notes stay in sirculation is beyond me, i thought the banks were supposed to remove them and replace them with new ones and send the ragged ones in for incineration.

Guest Aidan Work

If any famous golfer should be depicted on either a coin or banknote,

then why not Gary Player,Ernie Els,or Retief Goosen? Although they are all South Africans,they are just as famous as Jack Nicklaus,Vijay Singh,&

Colin Montgomerie.

Aidan.

If any famous golfer should be depicted on either a coin or banknote,

then why not Gary Player,Ernie Els,or Retief Goosen? Although they are all South Africans,they are just as famous as Jack Nicklaus,Vijay Singh,&

Colin Montgomerie.

Aidan.

because none of those guys have a retirement to commemorate, and more importantly, none of them are sponsored by the bank of scotland. jack wins on both counts.

Thanks,Mike. I took that offer too, i've seen them sell for over $40 a peice on the regular auctions!

good luck with your note. i received mine in a flimsy oversized mailer with no cardboard support. not even a "do not bend" on the front. luckily, it wasn't damaged or bent. seller must be some average scotsman with a wad of bills and no experience in collecting.

http://public.fotki.com/sanmiguel/world_ba...and/jnick5.html

I thought these things on eBay were grossly overpriced. It made a good time for me to sell Scottish banknotes on eBay, since mine were the only non Jack Nicklaus notes.

Curiously they are mispelled on eBay too, Jack Nicholas etc.

If you want a good JN note mailed in a cardboard, PM me. I have contacts there that work in RBS.

good luck with your note. i received mine in a flimsy oversized mailer with no cardboard support. not even a "do not bend" on the front. luckily, it wasn't damaged or bent. seller must be some average scotsman with a wad of bills and  no experience in collecting.

http://public.fotki.com/sanmiguel/world_ba...and/jnick5.html

Exactly the same manner that I got mine...I think he was targeting golfing collectors as opposed to note collectors...oh well, at least it was cheap.