CoinPeople.com

ICG Certifies 1st Aluminum Cent

16d

how do you think ICG convinced him to go through them... or why did he contact them... i wonder

With a coin of this rarity, the particular certification company doesn't matter all that much (among the big 4) as the rarity will drive the price, not who certified it. So then the only thing the owner has to be concerned about is the longterm protection of the coin. With that in mind, many people think that the ICG does the best job of protecting coins from tarnishing, since they use the intercept shields in thier slabs. I'm not saying this is absolutly the reason he chose them, but it is something to consider...

God forbid a cent was almost actually worth a cent!  ! :ninja:

Look at copper prices, right now, actually. But "dirty" copper is bought at considerable discounts, so it's not worthwhile, especially since it's illegal anyways.

< over 1.5 million of these were struck and ready for public release before ultimately being rejected. >

This 1.5 million were not intended for circulation. They were a test run to see how well the equipment would handle an actual production run. Something not widely known is that the 1974 Aluminum cents were actually struck in mid 1973.

< that only leaves the 64 Peace Dollar to surface and all of the Modern US Mythical Coins will have been realized. >

I have another one that almost no one knows about. 2000-S business strike Sac dollar. They never made 2000-S Sacs for circulation, but they did do a production test run of them like they did the 74 Al cents.

With a coin of this rarity, the particular certification company doesn't matter all that much (among the big 4) as the rarity will drive the price, not who certified it.  So then the only thing the owner has to be concerned about is the longterm protection of the coin.  With that in mind, many people think that the ICG does the best job of protecting coins from tarnishing, since they use the intercept shields in thier slabs.  I'm not saying this is absolutly the reason he chose them, but it is something to consider...

i hear ya,,, but i bet ya anything a pcgs label or even ngc would bring in at least another $1... that's just how conditioned we are at this point i think. from what i've seen it's sad but true.. i just had 8 morgans on ebay, all were ngc except one was ntc.. that was the only one that didn't sell.

if igc sent an au58 back to me i might see what the others would say... which, like you said, wouldn't matter too much i suppose.. the rarity is what'll drive this one regardless.. but still, i wonder what went on behind the scenes here..