CoinPeople.com

New Member and New Collector

Hi, just wanted to say hey and see if anyone has any tips for a rookie.

I'm fairly new to the coin/note collecting world although not new to the general collecting world (sports cards is my other main hobby). I've just returned froma year travelling the globe and its pretty much resposible for getting me hooked on this side of things.

As a start I'm looking into German and Russian issue coins and notes but I'd love to hear and be happy to absrb any advice you guys have for someone thats pretty new to this.

Thanks in advance and hope I can get activly involved in some discussions soon. (I'm from England if thats any help).

LC2

Hi LC2,

I'm Clive also from England! Enjoy your stay here at CP!

I collect any British coins, mainly pre-1400 but am happy to help on all eras and coins in general.

PM me if you want!

All the best,

Clive.

Welcome to CP. Hope you enjoy it here. I see so many nice things here that I'm constantly tempted to expand my collection.

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

I'm at the really early stages of learning about the hobby so just reading and learning, buying the odd thing I like (pretty low value stuff generally) and seeing where it takes me. Tehre seems to be a lot of expertise on these boards and hopefully I can use them to help dvelop into this hobby little by little.

Any tips on the best ways to start up? There seem to be hundreds of price guides all over the shop but many of them are deling purely in English or American money, is it even worth investing in one just now? Much of the stuff talked about on here is somewhat over my head at the moment so any general collecting tips are welcome. I stand by the old addage of "collect what you like" and I think that holds true in any similar hobby but I welcome any general tips you guys might have for someone really just getting started.

Thanks again,

LC2

There are loads of different niches on this board with many experts/people in the know that could help you with literally everything! With me it's English Hammered with the odd milled.

It depends, different people start in different places. For example you might prefer to collect dimes and others dollars. It could be dates, presidents etc...

You might like to get a coin from every country in the world, or a banknote for each country. It is really up to you!

The odd book might help, if you are thinking of collecting British Coins then Spink is the coin bible! Then there are other books for different countries i.e. Krause for world.

If you are making a slightly more expensive purchase remember to research the coin/token/banknote before buying etc...

In general coin collecting is not thought of as an investment, perhaps the odd gold coin but as a rule it isn't. I just collect English Hammered because I enjoy them but they are steadily rising in price every year which is good for an established collection but not so good if you plan to start from scratch, if you follow me...

Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions at all,

Clive.

Archived