CoinPeople.com

Big Money at Ocala Coin Club

Art

Here's an interesting article about a very nice fellow from the Ocala Coin Club who bought a Morgan dollar at the last club meeting for $22. Turns out the coin is worth more than $30,000.

Ocala Coin Club Find

eheh only 1 here :ninja: wats a vam xD lol?

VAM comes from the first letters of the last names of two Morgan dollar researchers Van Allen and Mallis They documented variations in dies used for morgan dollars. They assigned numbers to ID the die sets. (Obverse and reverse dies) Each mint used a certain number of dies each year. Some of them either when they were first made, thru mistakes later on or just differences in mint mark or date placement they are different. Sometimes the dies got used with out a planchet between them. That caused the imprint of the reverse to show up on the obverse. In this case it was a 1889 VAM 23 which had a slanted date. Sometime during minting dollars a worker left the blank out and presto the same die but now a VAM 23A which designates a later die state. Heres a couple examples.

Here is one the die got doubled on when it was first made. Note the doubling on the eye.

1887gatoreye.jpg

This is a polish line. They probably had a problem on this die and polished it out but left this line in the "A".

1878vam7spikedA.jpg

Edit: BTW this looks like the same thing what happened to Cherrypickers Quarter.

Check here for some of the other morgans I have with some close ups.

I keep hoping to make a find like that myself. :ninja: Another thing I'd love to find a new VAM and have the discovery piece. About the best I've done maybe doubles the worth of the morgan. Which isn't bad by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived