CoinPeople.com

Has this coin been "whizzed"?

NumisMattic2200

Found this on ebay, I love this type of coin and this one looks nice and shiny!100 pesetas whizzed?

On the other hand the surface doesn't look perfect, is this what a coin looks like after it has been shone up in some way? I believe the process is known as 'whizzing'... I could be wrong

Thanks

Quick Q that I should know the answer to: What exactly is whizzing? ...

That’s a very good question and I am glad to see it asked. With my re-entry into coin collecting 3-4 years ago I notice that we sometimes make some sweeping conclusions without a commensurate agreement on definitions. Terms like whizzing, PVC, dipping, even cleaning in general get used quite often but are operationally defined far less often.

From what I can surmise, whizzing is poorly defined but seems to refer to a procedure where a fine metal tool or brush or burr or some similar element is used to refinish a coin’s surface - maybe assisted with a small dental drill or some similar power tool. The result is that the coin, especially the fields, are excessively and unnaturally smooth and free of defects. The procedure is going to remove all tarnish and, as Andy said previously, will result in a very shiny appearance. When I have seen dealer’s coins that have been labeled as “whizzed” they have an unnaturally perfect appearance – particularly with regard to the fields. They almost have a re-plated look, it’s hard to explain but I think there is a lot to be gained by making it a point to check out “problem” coins at shows and dealer’s when they are labeled as such.

A very interesting treatment on “whizzing” appears here. I appreciate this fellow’s style and he is sometimes a contributor to RCC but I don’t know if he posts here.

Of course, a contentious thread followed, but that is part of the territory.

Google link that might work

The coin the OP mentioned does not appear to be whizzed in my opinion (I note that the OP simply asked the question and did not say it was). I don’t think it has PVC damage either. I see the same surface mottling that the OP sees, but I can’t tell what caused it or even speculate whether it is some kind of environmental damage or if it was intentionally messed with or if it is represents what the coin looks like in hand. It does, in my opinion, detract from the eye appeal of the picture of the coin.

In answer to your quesston NM2200, the coin isn't 'whizzed' in my oppinion. At high resolution I could see no circular motion in the metal. As for what is 'whizzing' here is a quick answer:

whizzing

It is when the metal of the surface of the coin has been mechanically moving in a lightly circulated motion, and visible in the surface luster. The normal method to do this is a high-speed dril having a wire-brush attachment. It don't take much to move the surface metal.

In answer to your quesston NM2200, the coin isn't 'whizzed' in my oppinion. At high resolution I could see no circular motion in the metal. As for what is 'whizzing' here is a quick answer:

whizzing

It is when the metal of the surface of the coin has been mechanically moving in a lightly circulated motion, and visible in the surface luster. The normal method to do this is a high-speed dril having a wire-brush attachment. It don't take much to move the surface metal.

Moving metal?

Moving metal?

Any time you apply even a fairly light application of brushing to the surface of a coin, you in effect move the metal in which it comes into contact. It's this movement of metal that make the light reflection seem to be seen as a circular motion. Hope this makes sense, as I'm not always the best at explaining things.

Archived