CoinPeople.com

Mint Not Happy With 'Silver Surfer' Coin

akdrv

LOS ANGELES -- A Marvel Comics hero is giving George Washington some company on the quarter, and the U.S. Mint is not at all happy about it.

To promote the upcoming film "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," 20th Century Fox and The Franklin Mint altered 40,000 U.S. quarters to feature the character.

The U.S. Mint said it learned of the promotional quarter this week and advised the studio and The Franklin Mint they were breaking the law. It's illegal to turn a coin into an advertising vehicle. Violators can face a fine.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/entertainm...100/detail.html

I guess the Mint folks would know but I've always thought that defacing had to have an intent of decpetion of the recepient to be a crime.

F--- the mint.

Maybe if they didn't make their coins so flat it wouldn't be so easy for people to stick their adverts over 'em.

In some countries, and money that's been altered even slightly (ie. a pen scribble on a banknote) renders it worthless. While that's going overboard, I definately agree that money should not be a medium of advertising.

I would say this falls in the same catagory as the hobo nickels that sell for hundreds and this has been done before....they are not breaking a law as it is written as they are not looking to defraud...

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States; or

Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or bringsinto the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or lightened—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

key word here is 'fraudulently'

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who “fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.” This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/coins/portraits.shtml#q13

such a thing has been done before and IS done all the time...I would think they have no case at all...they just dont like it but it is not breaking any law.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/20/pf/ads_on_dollars/index.htm

Archived