CoinPeople.com

Love tokens

cqueen2

I've always like them...one of my club member has a few of them . I don't own any myself ..but have been looking at a few on eBay from time to time ..I guess I want to wait for just the right one.What should be a good price range , I have no idea of value on them at all. So any info would be appreciated. Thanks :ninja:

sorry if there is already a topic on these

I think they can be interesting, but they are really cool when you have some sort of connection to them, like initials matching your own or a loved one's. I bought a 1901 half eagle love token a few years back for about $95 which was around melt value and on the reverse my birthday was engraved, only the date was 1908, which is 61 years before I was born. I thought it was cool with that connection so I bought it.

I really like them. I gave my wife a charm braclet of love tokens for our last anniversary. There were a few with things like Mama and Papa engraved. One has a nice scene of a horse & buggy on it. Most of these were on Liberty Seated dimes, or 3 pence pieces. The engraving goes from rather crude to very professional.

I've thought about creating a line of these for sale through ebay or a local store. We have enough "family" members to keep a love token mill running for a few years doing stuff for them alone.

That's why I think I like them so much ..because ya could match it with up with a date or initial to either yourself or a love one. I can't wait until I find one that will be a match to me ;) But I'm really not sure about paying $95 + for one :ninja: I hope I can find one alot cheaper . How will I be able to tell a so called "fake" one from a really old one? I wouldn't want to get taken on the first one I got.

Well, $95 is a bit unusual, but it does contain almost 1/4 ounce of gold, so considering that it wasn't too bad. I am sure that silver ones, particularly dimes would be a lot cheaper. As for fakes, I didn't even know anyone would fake a love token, considering they are technically damaged. I think if you find one with a nice patina, it more than likely would be a period piece, though I don't know how to be sure.

A coin that's been planed flat on one or both sides, with the name or initals of one's love one engraved on it. Engraving is usually high quality, and the piece is usually holed to be worn as a charm. Dimes are commonly used, though 5c silver, quarters are seen with some regularity as well.

I love love tokens (whoa!). Problem is the ones I see are always insanely priced. A local antique mall has two or three Seated Quarter love tokens. Cheapest was $150.

You can usually get them for $20 or less when available. It's really fun to try to look for one with the initials of a loved one. I've never tried it, but I'm sure that it'd be really fun, and make a great gift!

Archived