CoinPeople.com

The lolipop silver Eagle

Mark Stilson

It's been discussed a few times. It used to reside in a PCI MS68 QUESTIONABLE COLOR holder.

I understand 0.999 silver tones different than 0.900 but not THAT much. I've seen some insanely toned ASE's in PCGS plastic which really boggles my mind. They won't accept album toned ASE's or Morgans but they'll take this crap? PCGS should buy that coin back and properly dispose of it...with a shotgun.

I don't get that coin at all...and how it got into a pcgs holder... that just blows me away... That is one coin that you know will never be cracked out of that holder. I recently sent 6 silver eagles into pcgs. They all had impressive toning and all came out of the same tube of eagles that had been sitting in a safe for years. They bodybagged every one of them.... yet that cosmic piece of crap gets in a holder????

here is a pic of one of the coins i sent in and they bodybagged....

2s0k49l.jpg

I wonder if the person sending the coin in covered it in something which tones over time, and then sent it off to PCGS? PCGS maybe slabbed it when it was still silver and it then turned more colourful?

I was graded twice...both times with that tone as the FIRST grading was marked 'questionable toning' while the second (PCGS) had no remarks about the toning. If it was toned for the first, it must have been toned for the second.

Natural or Fake...its still pretty wild.

The "seller" also juices his photos...

Like I mentioned earlier, there are some unbelievable coins making it into PCGS holders lately. Must have a newbie coin grader for the bulk submissions or bullion.

The "seller" also juices his photos...

Like I mentioned earlier, there are some unbelievable coins making it into PCGS holders lately. Must have a newbie coin grader for the bulk submissions or bullion.

It ain't just lately in my experience. I've seen lots of AUMorgans in PCGS MS63 holders, especially in the old style holders. PCGS is an unreliable grading service, IMO. Some of the grades I've seen in their holders make me conclude that their graders must huff airplane glue before work. The popularity of PCGS as a TPG is probably due to hucksterism.

Three years ago, some mullet tried to sell me an almost complete set of very high MS graded. SAE's in PCGS holders and was asking $1900 which is what he said he paid for them. I told him I'd pay him 10% back of melt if he'd crack them out of the holders. ahaha

As Burks hinted at: perhaps a newbie grader got ahold of this one. Of course they're not just hiring anyone that can tell a wheatie from a memorial cent, but they aren't putting their best graders on bullion coins which is probably one reason this sucker passed.

If you know the right people, you can get anything you want into any slab. That's all I'll say.

It sure seems that way doesn't it? Borderline cameo coins that, if I submitted them, would be luck to get even a cameo designation. "Certain" people submit them and they come back deep cameo. Makes you go hmmmmmmm......

I don't use PCGS and never plan to. I'll stick with ICG and NGC, I feel the most comfortable with buying and submitting to them.

Archived