CoinPeople.com

The lolipop silver Eagle

Mark Stilson

I hate to say it, but I think that whether a coin holders or not has a lot to do with the submitter and the amount of coins that they send in. How did that eagle tone like that on the reverse...is that roll end toning. :ninja: There's a Wisconsin commemorative half dollar that I've seen a couple times...graded very high end. The coin has the most bizarre coloration that I've personally ever seen on a old silver coin - bright red, etc.. It was featured on a thread and everyone was oohing and aahing over it, but to me it looked AT. The only reason that people didn't laugh at it was because it was in a holder. I have a bunch of toned coins that have been bagged for artificial color, mostly nickels. None are carnival toned or unbelievably cartoonish, yet the great powers that be have deemed them AT. A couple of them really p*ssed me off as I bought them out of an old set of toners that were in a coin board.

It's AT, it's .999 silver, and even though it's only .001% copper, I could tone that sucker to look like a black light poster. AT all the way, and the company that graded it just doesn't seem to care. If only they had someone with ANY background in toning metals, maybe they wouldn't be so hasty.

Archived