CoinPeople.com

How to store notes?

Bobette

Non-PVC(polyvinyl chloride) pages, but the best way is non PVC individual holders, especially for the rarer notes. I once had a 1926 North of Scotland Bank £1 that had been stored in PVC by a previous owner, and a very rare note became cheapened to the point at which I could buy a $250 value note for $15 because of the oil in it.

I store all of my notes in Archival safe 4x6 photo pages, which I have in a standard 3 ring binder. I also use archival safe full size sheet protectors for the larger sized notes.....

I like my setup because it allows me to view both sides of the banknote without having to pick it up with my bare hands...... The oils in youe skin can degrade notes over time.....

Cool idea!

Where can you get/how much does it cost?

These aren't too bad either. Link to UltraPro. I mainly use the three horizontal pocket pages, but I also have one and two pockets for larger notes. right now the three pocket pages are selling for $14.18 per 100 sheets from the manufacturer..... Some people sell these at as much as 70 dollars per one hundred pages, so do be careful when shopping around.

If you only need a few, then it is likely better to go with another dealer online. They generally sell them about 70 cents each per 10 sheet order or there about. There are a lot of them on Ebay and in comics/sportscard shops online. I used to get them in a mall that sold sports cards, but they do not sell the styles I need anymore, and it is much cheaper to get the whole 100 pack anyway, as I know i will eventually use them up.

So, while we're on this topic, I'm going to ask a question I've been wondering for years:

How can you tell if the storage material has PVC or not?

I've bought holders from dealers but there were no tags or labels or boxes that said what material they were. Sort of unsettling when it isn't clear if its PVC or not.

So, while we're on this topic, I'm going to ask a question I've been wondering for years:

How can you tell if the storage material has PVC or not?

I've bought holders from dealers but there were no tags or labels or boxes that said what material they were. Sort of unsettling when it isn't clear if its PVC or not.

The best I've heard is that the ones with PVC have a plastic-y smell to them. The more they smell like plastic, the worse they are. But sometimes my sniffer can't really tell - I 'think' I smell plastic sometimes, but maybe I'm just being paranoid - anyway, that's why I always put them into my own holders that I trust. Archival safe holders free of PVC usually have this information stamped on the box them come in.

The thing is, it takes time t degrade the notes. Short term storage isn't going to be too bad for them, but after a number of years, it would take a toll.

I store all of my notes in Archival safe 4x6 photo pages, which I have in a standard 3 ring binder. I also use archival safe full size sheet protectors for the larger sized notes.....

I like my setup because it allows me to view both sides of the banknote without having to pick it up with my bare hands...... The oils in youe skin can degrade notes over time.....

Well you can use the cotton glove in stead of bare hand

anyway, that's why I always put them into my own holders that I trust.

sadly, thats the problem for me. I need to buy holders that I trust and I can't always find a trustworthy holder :ninja:

How about polymer notes, everyone? I haven't seen one in person yet but I imagine they may require some different storage methods than for the standard notes. Any comments there?

How about polymer notes, everyone? I haven't seen one in person yet but I imagine they may require some different storage methods than for the standard notes. Any comments there?

I have my polymer notes in the same 4x6 photo pages with no problems. I use photo pages made by Avery, which you can get at any office supply store.......

I have my polymer notes in the same 4x6 photo pages with no problems. I use photo pages made by Avery, which you can get at any office supply store.......

like dave, i also use ultra-pro. safe and relatively cheap! for now i have them in regular binders...but i'm getting paranoid. those things smell awfully plastic-like, and i'm sure they're slowly giving off non-paperfriendly gas emissions. i think i might spring for an archival binder...i saw a few nice ones online that come with dust cases the binder can slip into. a lot of archival binders i found were next to photography-related items. perhaps the same damage we see in paper money is related to the damage in paper photographs? were old photographs that are a brittle and discolored stored incorrectly?

moving on...i don't think polymer notes face the same dangers as paper notes. but if you have acid/pvc free holders for your paper...you might as well use the same for your plastic. won't hurt 'em, being inert and archive-safe. :ninja:

Scan10031-vi.jpg

moving on...i don't think polymer notes face the same dangers as paper notes. but if you have acid/pvc free holders for your paper...you might as well use the same for your plastic. won't hurt 'em, being inert and archive-safe. :ninja:

I wonder that long term the polymer notes will actually get more damage because of the interaction of the plasticizing agents? I have only ever owned one polymer note, in fact probably the first made, from Isle of Man that was issued ca. 1982 or 1983, but I sold it several years ago. Curiously IOM went back to paper notes afterwards.

no idea...this is all i could find on caring for polymer notes:

from Bank Negara Malaysia, 2004

Learn how to handle the polymer banknote - tips on what to do and what not to do with the banknote.

What to do

• Keep the polymer banknote flat, store banknote in upright position.

• Use paper bands when packing the polymer banknote

• Clean the polymer banknote with soap and cold water if it is stained with oil, beverages, sweat or chemical.

What not to do

• Do not expose the polymer banknote to high temperatures by placing on a very hot surface.

• Do not fold the polymer banknote by applying heavy pressure

• Do not use rubber bands to bundle the banknote during packing

• Do not use staples and pins with the banknote.

heheh...useful tips for the public, but not very useful to collectors who want to know how to store their notes! so...who wants to rinse their notes in soap and water first? :ninja:

no idea...this is all i could find on caring for polymer notes:

from Bank Negara Malaysia, 2004

heheh...useful tips for the public, but not very useful to collectors who want to know how to store their notes! so...who wants to rinse their notes in soap and water first? :ninja:

Spa treatment for polymer banknotes. ;)

like dave, i also use ultra-pro. safe and relatively cheap! for now i have them in regular binders...but i'm getting paranoid. those things smell awfully plastic-like, and i'm sure they're slowly giving off non-paperfriendly gas emissions. i think i might spring for an archival binder...i saw a few nice ones online that come with dust cases the binder can slip into. a lot of archival binders i found were next to photography-related items. perhaps the same damage we see in paper money is related to the damage in paper photographs? were old photographs that are a brittle and discolored stored incorrectly?

Scan10031-vi.jpg

I used the same non-PVC, non-oil based plastic sheet sealing for my polymer banknotes. My first

polymer is the world first Australia polymer banknote. My second one is the world second piece produced - Singapore $50. So far, they do not have any problem. They still look the same as before. ;)

Archived