CoinPeople.com

2006 Sackies in circulation?

Dockwalliper

I was looking at the mintage figures and sales for the 2006 sac dollars and found this interesting.

Denver mint.

Coins minted...........................2,800,000

250 coin bag sale(in coins) ..........667,500

25 coin roll sales(in coins).........1,161,600

Mint set sales..............................859,221

Total coins sold.........................2,688,321

Coins remaining..........................111,679

Fairly close and I believe the mint sets are still on sale. But.....

Philadelphia mint.

Coins minted..........................4,900,000

250 coin bag sales (coins)..........795,000

25 coin roll sales (coins)..........1,461,250

Mint set sales............................859,221

Total coins sold.......................3,115,471

Coins remaining......................1,784,529

Were the Philly dollars included in another set?

Are these extra 1.7 million coins headed for circulation? (Maybe not here, maybe in S. America?)

Anyone have a thought?

I'd guess that the extras went to South America. From what I've read the SAC is a basic unit of exchange in several countries there. Mostly because of its durability vs. the paper dollar. The Mint is probably putting away a number each year for the 2075 GSA sale.

Curious thing about the Washie buck thing, is there have to be as many Sackies minted as the other dollars, so you should see them.

My guess is the 2006's are getting used in Ecuador, where they actually like it. Maybe that is the real reason the mint is making these losers by the millions, so they can overtake the currencies in Latin America where they like coins and they last longer than bills.

Are you certain the final mintage figures are correct? If so, my guess is they are sitting in a vault somewhere, and I would be less surprised by the 2075 GSA sale than if they actually shipped them to Ecuador (after all, they probably still have half a billion 2000-01 they could ship, why bother with a million 2006-Ps?).

There has been some discussion in other forvms on this topic as several of their regular $1 coin users have occasionally been reporting sudden appearances of large numbers of 'minty-fresh' 2002 to 2005 Sacs in their regular bank supplies.

I mused and it was generally agreed that the USMint disposes of unsold inventory of collector sets of regular circulation coins by placing them into regular circulation. We just don't notice it with the others (ie, the State Quarters) simply because they blend in with all of the rest of them.

In other notes, I'd *LOVE* to see statistics on how many coins of all the denominations are currently in USTreasury and Fed inventory. I recall seeing something a couple of years ago that said that so many State Quarters have been made that the USMint could stop production of quarters today and not have to restart it until at least 2013 - a five+ year inventory. As of late 2006, from what I am aware of, the inventory of Sacs was such that had the Presibux program not started, the USMint would have needed a regular business-strike production run (about 100-150M coins/year) sometime in 2008.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived