CoinPeople.com

Unknown world coin

Covington

Ruristan, KUR3419 (814 AD), Queen Ashpuddle, half-zonga (three ruki standard). Smithington Silver Coins of the Trans Hindukush A-21(var).

Obverse: Queen crowned and robed facing right, AGSIID* *YGF _kKK. (Ash gosi idilit varba varbpo yvfig klugo-klugono-klugni: Ash(puddle) great queen and planter of plants Joyous Great (among)Greater (becoming) Greatest).

Reverse: Hippopotamus attacking Reindeer. Solar disk with rays above.

According to the commentary added by Rulf Fleischmieder, there are only four attested copies of this coin. The Oxford Ashmolean is the only one still known. The St. Petersburg Hermitage disappeared during the Revolution or Civil War. The Farouk specimen was never catalogued, but was rumored to have sold to a private collector. The fourth one appeared in five auctions from 1920 to 1921 and then was never heard from until 1999 when it was found amid the rubble of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade. Then, it disappeared again.

According to the commentary added by Rulf Fleischmieder, there are only four attested copies of this coin. The Oxford Ashmolean is the only one still known.  The St. Petersburg Hermitage disappeared during the Revolution or Civil War.  The Farouk specimen was never catalogued, but was rumored to have sold to a private collector.  The fourth one appeared in five auctions from 1920 to 1921 and then was never heard from until 1999 when it was found amid the rubble of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade.  Then, it disappeared again.

Hah! A vicious rumor, I assure you. "disappeared again", indeed.

ahaha

• 2 weeks later...
Were there copies of this type of coin made? and does that mean its a Russian coin?

A long, long time ago, when the internet was new, someone asked about a Maria Theresa taler and I wrote that it was a "Mother Theresa" medal struck for the little Austrian village that was her home... Well... it was pointed out to me that not everyone would see the humor in that. So, I really apologize for the (ahem) "humor." :ninja: I thought that it was so obviously overdone... but apparently, the only thing "obvious" is that numismatic catalogues are way, way, way too obtuse.

Michael

Were there copies of this type of coin made? and does that mean its a Russian coin?

A long, long time ago, when the internet was new, someone asked about a Maria Theresa taler and I wrote that it was a "Mother Theresa" medal struck for the little Austrian village that was her home... Well... it was pointed out to me that not everyone would see the humor in that. So, I really apologize for the (ahem) "humor." ;) I thought that it was so obviously overdone... but apparently, the only thing "obvious" is that numismatic catalogues are way, way, way too obtuse.

Michael

So you mean there is no denomination called Zonga, and here I was hoping to find some so I could say I have a pocket full of Zonga and then be promptly arrested or slapped :ninja:

So you mean there is no denomination called Zonga,  and here I was hoping to find some so I could say I have a pocket full of Zonga and then be promptly arrested or slapped :ninja:

Actually, it's legal to carry rolls of Zonga. The Nudnik is currently the prohibited denomination. The Zonga being so scarce, insufficient revenue was being generated by the legislation, so a tweaking of the text was in order.

The Reverse of the coin is completely blank w/ long crack down the center.

With a design like that, with absolutely no writing, with a square hole, and with nothing on the back, I would say that it isn't a coin at all, but probably a concho. (ornamental discs used on saddles, belts, and other leather goods)

With a design like that, with absolutely no writing, with a square hole, and with nothing on the back, I would say that it isn't a coin at all, but probably a concho.  (ornamental discs used on saddles, belts, and other leather goods)

That makes a little more sense. But it does have reeding around the outside(if "reeding" is not the correct terminology, I apologize). Thanks for the enlightenment.