CoinPeople.com

Bought my first large cent, need advice.

KevinCali25

The main thing really is I'm wondering if this coin can be made to look better. I know cleaning is a no no, but this coin is already really rough and I'm just wondering what is the best cleaning method for a coin like this, if any. Also, in the auction title it claims the coin is 1847 but the date on the coin looks like 1827 to me. What do you all think? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Cleaning is a no no normally, but like you said, this coin cannot get much worse, although in the wrong hands cleaning can surely do just that!

IF you really want to clean it, you can reduce the corrosion look by using extremely fine steel wool, a little olive oil or dish soap and lightly rub the coin. This is 100% cause damage to the coin, but in its current condition I don't think it will matter....and by damage I mean remove some of the copper on the coin itself, but also smoothing the coins surface some in the process. In a coin in higher condition, I would NEVER say to do something this damaging just to let you know. In anything better than this, dipping is even pushing it.

i say put it back in the ground and see if a large cent tree grows!!! wouldn't that be nice!?!?!?!

but being serious..... your not gonna hurt it any more... and i doubt if it'll look any better after cleaning.... but with a coin like that.... it can't hurt...

totally agree. Clean the thing. The main reason most people don't clean coins is because they don't want to hurt the resale value. If you bought it to have in your collection and enjoy looking at it, then making it pretty doesn't hurt a thing.

happy new years to all

Guest Stujoe

Generally, if you want a coin that looks better, it is best to buy a coin that looks better. :ninja: I doubt you can get that coin looking much better than it is. Believe it or not, though, it would be pretty easy to have it end up much worse.

Just carry it around in your pocket for a few years and it will start to look better on its own. No need to do anything destructive.

Just carry it around in your pocket for a few years and it will start to look better on its own. No need to do anything destructive.

If you're patient enough for that, it's one of the best ways to smooth out a rough low grade coin. :ninja:

Archived