CoinPeople.com

My beef with the 2006 US mint

UncleBobo

Until 2006 I returned maybe one product to the mint because I thought it was substandard.

So far this year I have returned a mint set because the coins, mostly the sacs, had spots on them.

I sent back a proof set because of a large white stain on the 50 cent piece. The next set they sent me had a cent that was covered with small dark spots but I kept it anyway because I didn't care.

Today I received two proof San Fran mint dollars, both of which are marred by small white spots and one large white spot on the obverse. I will be returning both. I only ordered one proof so I will be getting a replacement coin and a refund.

Has anyone else had these problems with the mint's quality control this year?

Has anyone else had these problems with the mint's quality control this year?

I haven't received anything from them but have read numerous reports of poor quality control. Scratched coins, dirty coins, coins being received OUT of their holders or very loose, etc.

It looks like the Mint has more orders than they can keep up with while maintaining quality.

I will be examining mine very closely (when the get here) because of all of the bad reports I've read. I only ordered one silver proof set (my usual Mint purchase each year) and one of the 20th Anniversary ASE sets. Hope I get lucky the first time through.

It seems that most of the SF $5 coins have been arriving loose (capsule open) and rattling around. Mine arrived that way but thankfully there was no damage.

Funny thing is, I put the coin back in the capsule, closed it, and its a nice tight seal. There's nothing wrong with the packaging, just the "packager" I guess.

Strange! I have had the exact opposite experience this year and was thinking of starting a topic asking if others have noticed the same. I recently received the proof and mint coin sets as well as this year's proof SAE, and they are all probably the best that I have received for many years.

Hs anyone seen that show on tv where they show how they make the proof sets and the mint sets? That was awesome! There is some work that goes into those coins.

That was a very cool program :ninja:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite informative.

Hs anyone seen that show on tv where they show how they make the proof sets and the mint sets? That was awesome! There is some work that goes into those coins.

Try to remember that ALL such shows are well rehearsed, special people used as employees, faked in backgrounds, items shown that may not even exist, etc. I have worked in to many organizations where "dog and poney show" type things have been staged for the public. At one place where we designed Nuclear facilities, about 99 % of what was documented for the public was staged. Expecially when it bacame to Class 1 or facility safety.

As to the quality of the Mints products, this post makes me wonder if I should start opening some of thier products. For at least 20 or more years I purchase 15 to 20 proof sets and mint sets for Christmas gifts. I keep several for myself. If I don't buy them for me, who will? All of the ones I've kept are still unopened. Now with post like this one I may just go start opening them.

I ordered my 2006 BU Silver Dollar back in July. On 22 November I got an email that it was sent, along with a confirmation number. All the while I have been checking the USPS site and getting no record of tracking number messages. Today out of the blue it shows up.

The coin is nice, I like it. But the packaging sucks, big time. I cannot believe these fools can squeeze a coin in a holder about .05mm too small, and then put in a chintzy box with a cheap plastic liner. Somehow as defecating as the packaging is, I think an Airtite is in order.

Archived