CoinPeople.com

No coin mailings from US to Latvia

Bill Snyder

The US Postal Service just sent me 2 pages of "IMM Issue 33, March 2006, Updated

With Postal Bulletin Revisions Through October 12, 2006." The mailing of coins to

Latvia is prohibited.

Page 676 of that manual says "Country Conditions for Mailing, Latvia".

Prohibitions - Coins, bank notes, currency notes (paper money), etc., etc. (A long

list of prohibited items follow).

Page 16 says "the burden rests with the mailer to insure compliance with domestic,

international, and individual country rules and regulations for mailability".

Does anyone know of other countries whose mailing rules prohibit incoming coins?

Bill

P.S. - I can send the complete list of prohibited items to anyone who is

interested.

I'm living in Latvia. Latvian law prohibits sending MONEY unless letter, package, banderole is NOT INSURED. And that's it! Haven't had any problems with sending coins. Sometimes checker at PO have objections when current coins are in package, but there's no problems in the next PO over the corner! :ninja:

There are many stupidities in the laws of post-soviet countries. For example Latvian law demands any item to be sent outside the country and which is more than 50 years old to have permishion given by Inspection of Historical and Cultural artifacts. This permishion costs from Ls 5,- (About US$ 8.50). Fortunately, not every PO operator knows it! ;)

I'm living in Latvia. Latvian law prohibits sending MONEY unless letter, package, banderole is NOT INSURED. And that's it! Haven't had any problems with sending coins. Sometimes checker at PO have objections when current coins are in package, but there's no problems in the next PO over the corner! ;)

There are many stupidities in the laws of post-soviet countries. For example Latvian law demands any item to be sent outside the country and which is more than 50 years old to have permishion given by Inspection of Historical and Cultural artifacts. This permishion costs from Ls 5,- (About US$ 8.50). Fortunately, not every PO operator knows it! ;)

This is similar in the USA, I know which clerks in my PO don't ask and which do.

I would think in Latvia they would want all Soviet stuff even the 70 yr old stuff sent out :ninja:

Don't most countries have these restrictions? I know that FedEx and UPS does not allow shipping coins.

From UPS website:

21. Shipments Not Accepted

The following shipments will not be accepted for transportation service:

b. Gold or other precious metals including but not limited to bronze, copper, gold or silver coins, coin collections, gems, and precious stones.

Don't most countries have these restrictions? I know that FedEx and UPS does not allow shipping coins.

From UPS website:

21. Shipments Not Accepted

The following shipments will not be accepted for transportation service:

b. Gold or other precious metals including but not limited to bronze, copper, gold or silver coins, coin collections, gems, and precious stones.

Actually the USPS can get stinky on mailing numismatic treasures.

Archived