CoinPeople.com

NL: €5 Belastingdienst

tabbs

Sthg I didn't know is that those commerative coins are only legal tender in the country that issues them.

Only €2 commemorative coins are legal tender thoughout the euro zone.

I wonder why.

We have three different types of coins in Euroland: circulation coins (1 cent - 2 euro), commemorative coins (€2 only), and collector coins (any denomination not used for the first two kinds). This third type was supposed to be, or to allow for, a continuation of the pre-euro special issues. Germany and the Netherlands for example used to issue special silver DEM/NLG coins at face value, while silver pieces from France and Italy carried and carry a hefty surcharge, much like the US silver dollars. Some euro countries also continued to use the diameters and other specifications that collectors were used to.

I suppose the idea behind the (comm/coll) differentiation was something like, hey, those collector coins play hardly any role in everyday life anyway, so every member state may issue whatever it wants. (That is also why there are silver collector coins with face values such as €0.25, €8, €12, and so on.) Makes the collectors happy while the supermarket cashier in, say, Portugal does not have to think about whether that odd piece from, say, Finland is just some kind of token or actually money. :ninja:

Christian

• 5 weeks later...
We have three different types of coins in Euroland: circulation coins (1 cent - 2 euro), commemorative coins (€2 only), and collector coins (any denomination not used for the first two kinds). This third type was supposed to be, or to allow for, a continuation of the pre-euro special issues. Germany and the Netherlands for example used to issue special silver DEM/NLG coins at face value, while silver pieces from France and Italy carried and carry a hefty surcharge, much like the US silver dollars. Some euro countries also continued to use the diameters and other specifications that collectors were used to.

I suppose the idea behind the (comm/coll) differentiation was something like, hey, those collector coins play hardly any role in everyday life anyway, so every member state may issue whatever it wants. (That is also why there are silver collector coins with face values such as €0.25, €8, €12, and so on.) Makes the collectors happy while the supermarket cashier in, say, Portugal does not have to think about whether that odd piece from, say, Finland is just some kind of token or actually money. :ninja:

Christian

As far as I know, the German 10 Euro coins are available for 15 Euros (I haven't been able to find them for less). The Dutch silver coins seem to be the only ones that sell at face value. Some do circulate. When I try to spend them (in the NL, near the Hague) most people have never seen one. Most of those won't believe that they are legal tender.

As far as I know, the German 10 Euro coins are available for 15 Euros (I haven't been able to find them for less). The Dutch silver coins seem to be the only ones that sell at face value.

Not really. In Germany you can get the silver €10 collector coins, at face value, from any Bundesbank branch office (there are about 60 in DE) and from many commercial banks. What costs €15 is the Spiegelglanz (prooflike) version.

Austria, Portugal and Spain are in a "mixed" position as far as collector coins are concerned: Some of their silver pieces can be had at face value, others carry a surcharge. A little strange, but that's the way it is ....

Oh, and - welcome to CoinPeople! :ninja:

Christian

Not really. In Germany you can get the silver €10 collector coins, at face value, from any Bundesbank branch office (there are about 60 in DE) and from many commercial banks. What costs €15 is the Spiegelglanz (prooflike) version.

Austria, Portugal and Spain are in a "mixed" position as far as collector coins are concerned: Some of their silver pieces can be had at face value, others carry a surcharge. A little strange, but that's the way it is ....

Oh, and - welcome to CoinPeople! :ninja:

Christian

Christian, all Portuguese Euro silver coins (commem.) can be bought for face value in their "regular" version, although some of the earliest types were minted in "BNC" versions as well (besides "proof").

Jose ;)

all Portuguese Euro silver coins (commem.) can be bought for face value in their "regular" version, although some of the earliest types were minted in "BNC" versions as well (besides "proof").

Ah yes - with regard to Portugal, I apparently got different designs and different silver contents mixed up. So it's the Netherlands, Portugal and Germany which are in the "face" category, Austria and Spain in the "partly face, partly above" camp, and the others rip us collectors off. :ninja:

Christian

Christian, all Portuguese Euro silver coins (commem.) can be bought for face value in their "regular" version, although some of the earliest types were minted in "BNC" versions as well (besides "proof").

Jose ;)

Since you are our very own resident acquisitioner, you need to let us know what the designs are and take orders for them, ala Trantor_3 and Tabbs ~ both of whom have liberally supplied my kiddos and myself with Dutch and German coins.

Barbers and SL's await ;) Besides I am getting Portuguese coins withdrawl :ninja:

you need to let us know what the designs are and take orders for them

Ha, he does! But it seems Jose is too embarrassed to publicly present the new issues which he somewhere referred to as "artistic monstrosities" ... For some reason however :ninja: he did not make that offer in a discussion about the Dutch Belastingdienst coin but here:

(List of PT 2007 coins)

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=290676

(Jose's offer)

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=293567

Christian

My offer regarding Portuguese Euro Commem. coins is open to everybody, i taught that nobody asked because they knew the designs... :ninja:

Here they are: COINS

If something fancy's you let me know, but it can take a few weeks to get them, the weather is sunny and not too cold ;) but January isn't what i would call a "accountant friendly month"... ;)

Jose ;)

I do not bother with offering help in buying Finn silver commems because regardless of design quality, they are just too @#$*% expensive! ;)

But I am glad there are others out there that help in offering the more reasonably priced €uros. :ninja:

... and just like Jose, I dare not make any offers. The new German €10 Saarland coin, for example, is derrière ugly in my view, and it's cold and rainy here, so why go out and get any? ;)

Christian

:ninja: Does that mean... no German commems??? I hope the ;) means you're kidding! ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I've received the coin (thank you trantor3!), and I've noticed that there are some errors: in the spiral of years, instead 1826 is 1896 and the years 1877 and 1977 are missing! :ninja:

You sure paid a lot of attention to the details. :ninja: And yes, both the silver coin and the €10 gold coin have those errors: "Helaas zijn in de laatste versie van deze documenten door technische problemen omissies terecht gekomen. Hierdoor staan op alle gouden en zilveren Belastingmunten een aantal jaartallen niet of onjuist vermeld."

http://nl.knm.nl/domains/knm/pages/article..._11720000000017

So all Belastingdienst coins are error pieces, so to say. ;)

Christian

Archived