CoinPeople.com

DE €10 "Saarland" 2007

tabbs

Uh-oh. I am not happy.

One of the five €10 coins that Germany issues next year will be dedicated to the Saarland, which joined the Federal Republic 50 years ago (January 1957). Well, such "abstract" themes are always a little more difficult for designers, I think. But the results of this design competition ...

This page shows the designs that won the first, second and third prize:

http://www.bbr.bund.de/index.html?/wettbewerbe/muenzen.htm

The 3rd prize would have been OK in my opinion. But #1 and #2, I don't know. Maybe I should focus on collecting nice coins from now on. :ninja:

Christian

I like the second one. It doesn't hit you over the head with the symbolism. Also having the bridge theme span from obverse to reverse is quite clever. I demand this one be coined!

Ooooog... second place is by far the superior design!  That's a wild neo-Deco with a retro 60's futuristic thing going on there!

exactly ... that's why i like it.

otoh, the third one looks too ... typical.

The winning design shows (in the upper part) some architectural elements characteristic for Saarland, and (below) four heads representing mining, industry, new technologies, and culture. And those heads, hmm, simplistic symbolism in my opinion. Besides, they are a little too big. And the other side - if I was an eagle, I sure would not have wanted to drink what that bird must have drunk. :ninja:

The 2nd prize is interesting indeed, and I also like the corresponding wing/bridge and vertical bars. The eagle would have a hard time keeping the balance but looks good (better than #1 for sure). The problem I have with that design, however, is that it does not really show anything Saarland-specific.

Number Three is kind of conventional indeed, but still better IMO than the other two: It depicts various buildings in Saarland in a "multi-layer", almost three-dimensional way which I like. The eagle, oh well. At least the stars are not as big as in Binz-Blanke's (#1) design ...

Christian

• 9 months later...

The "Federal State of Saarland" coin was issued earlier this month, and as some of you may have noticed, I did not offer to get you any. Well, the reason for that is this:

910029SG_gr.jpg

Yes, that is the piece that was issued. Poor Saarlanders. :ninja: The coin came out one week ago (18-Jan) and can be had at face value. Picked one up for myself (oh well, I can always carry it back, or be wild and crazy and try and spend it ...) but did not want to "offer" it to any other self-respecting collectors.

That being said - does anybody actually want any of those? I mean, seriously?? Then let me know.

Christian

Oh well, if any is seriously interested in that piece: On Friday I will go and get some of the new €2 Mecklenburg-Vorpommern commemorative coins http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=286185 anyway, and I could ask about the €10 Saarland collector coins too. So let me know, by Thu. evening my time (CET), whether you want any of these ...

Christian

How much did they have?

Germany issues five or six €10 silver coins per year - 29 so far (since Jan-2002), and 4 more will come later this year. Here is an overview: http://www.deutsche-sammlermuenzen.de/bmf/...rie/index.jhtml

Each of the coins "costs" €10 if you get the uncirculated version (from the branch offices of the central bank, and from many commercial banks). I think that is a fair price. :ninja: If you want the prooflike versions (from the German numismatic office), you have to pay €15 each ...

Christian

Archived