CoinPeople.com

This is why we don't need new coins/currency

bustchaser

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had a few of my cashiers nervously ask me if we can accept anything from Sacs to $2s to Ikes. Also had customers nervously ask if they were'allowed' to spend things like Morgans and silver certs. You certainly can, folks! I'll gladly accept.

Spend Morgans each for 10 times face says I. :ninja:

What's with these bill marketing pens/markers? Are people not able to tell what money is without them?? :ninja:

The marking pens are necessary because there is supposed to be so much bogus currency in circulation. I have them in the kiosk with me and haven't yet caught any bad notes with them. They are supposed to make a brownish to yellow mark on genuine notes which fades away in a few hours, but leave a black mark on a fake note which is indelible. The one bad note I got was from a fellow dealer who paid me with 19 $100 notes. One had a black mark across the obverse which had bled through to the reverse. I handed it back to him and he gave me a different one.

For all either of us know, it could have been marked with a Sharpie pen, but I didn't want to take the chance of putting it in the bank. If you deposit counterfeit at the bank, you're out the money in the best case and could be hassled by feds if you're not lucky. I use the night drop to unload cash and wouldn't like getting a surprise like that.

I have to say coming from the UK I find the US currencey really confusing, and that's not because I have never visited America.

In the UK we have the following:

Coins - 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 & £2 coins with special commemorative(sp) £5 coins

Notes - £5, £10, £20 & £50 notes

In the US I believe you currently have:

Coins - 1c, 5c, Dime, Quarter & Half Dollar coins with special commemorative(sp) $1 coins

Notes - $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100

One thing I have never got about the US currencey is, that in 2006, you STILL have $1 & $2 notes. Why is this so, many other currencies (UK pound, Canadian, Australian & New Zealand Dollar, Euro, etc.) have coins for these low values. The $1 & $2 notes must wear out very quickly, our £5 notes certainly do so why doesn't the US do this.

Personally I think the US should have a complete rehash of the materials used for it's currencey, I would do it as:

Coins - 1c, 2c (possible new coin?), 5c, Dime, Quater Dollar, Half Dollar, $1 & $2

Notes - $5, $10, $20, £50 & $100

It works well in other countires around the world so I can't see why it wouldn't work in the USA. What do others think.

Well Johnny you've opened a can of worms there. The $1 bill vs $1 coin argument goes round and round and round. It'll never be resolved in the current climate.

Sure the US has tried to introduce a $1 coin on two occasions recently but it all comes down to the fact that people will use whatever they are familiar with so if you don't withdraw the bills then the change will never happen. However, the bills have fans where it counts.

Personally I think the US should have a complete rehash of the materials used for it's currencey, I would do it as:

Coins - 1c, 2c (possible new coin?), 5c, Dime, Quater Dollar, Half Dollar, $1 & $2

Notes - $5, $10, $20, £50 & $100

It works well in other countires around the world so I can't see why it wouldn't work in the USA. What do others think.

Mmm... good idea. More coins to collect! :ninja:

Oh, I know that. When I wanted to spend a ten euro commemorative at "Aldi" ( :ninja: ) the seller looked at me and was asking what that is. I told him that it's a commemorative, it's a legal tender, but he went to the manager and around ten minutes later after calling the bank if it's a legal tender he accepted the coin. And I know, I'll never spend ten euro commemoratives again. It costs too much time to explain everything, but the faces of the sellers are priceless

Marvin

That brings up another endless topic, why introduce a 2c coin when there's so much talk about axing the 1c coin?

Fair enough, if they are going to axe the 1c coin then there's no point of a 2c coin. I believe that Australia dropped their 1c & 2c coins in the early 1990's and that New Zealand have also done the same but are also dropping the 5c this year and have redesigned the 10, 20 & 50c coins.

We've only dropped the 1/2p over here (25p coins were commemorative only although were & I believe still are, legal tender), I don't think the 1p & 2p coins will go for ages yet seeing as the Royal Mint had that competition last year to redesign the reverse of the 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 & 50p coins. Although there has been no further information regarding this for over a year now.

Well Johnny you've opened a can of worms there. The $1 bill vs $1 coin argument goes round and round and round. It'll never be resolved in the current climate.

Sure the US has tried to introduce a $1 coin on two occasions recently but it all comes down to the fact that people will use whatever they are familiar with so if you don't withdraw the bills then the change will never happen. However, the bills have fans where it counts.

Again I find this rather odd, in the UK when the £1 coin was introduced in 1983 it ran in tandum with the £1 note until they withdrew the £1 note in 1987/1988. The £1 has been a great success although 1% (about 1 Million) of them in circulation are fakes suprisingly enough.

I just think it's odd that the US mint haven't decided "balls lets withdraw the $1 note regardless" considering the fact they now must cost more to manufacture than what they're face value is now surely. Also I have heard that they have stopped making new $2 notes is this true?

We've only dropped the 1/2p over here (25p coins were commemorative only although were & I believe still are, legal tender), I don't think the 1p & 2p coins will go for ages yet seeing as the Royal Mint had that competition last year to redesign the reverse of the 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 & 50p coins. Although there has been no further information regarding this for over a year now.

The 25p coins are still legal tender, as are sovereigns and half sovereigns. Double florins too if i recall correctly.

Based on the redesign concepts i saw it'd be a lucky escape if the redesign was shelved.

With regards to the 1c coins, don't forget that a US cent is roughly about the value of 1/2p. 1p & 2p coins are practically worthless, although useful as an inflationary brake, which was the argument the British government put forward in the mid 70s about the 1/2p. It was kept merely to slow inflation down.

The 25p coins are still legal tender, as are sovereigns and half sovereigns. Double florins too if i recall correctly.

Based on the redesign concepts i saw it'd be a lucky escape if the redesign was shelved.

I think you're right about the 25p, Sovereigns & half sovereigns I'm not sure, seeing as they still make them. However I'm very sure the Double Florin isn't it was only minted for 5 years before they decided to stop minting them. I also think it became non legal tender before the £sd system was abolished.

Interesting, in regards to the redesigns. Do you have a link to any of these at all please. :ninja:

Again I find this rather odd, in the UK when the £1 coin was introduced in 1983 it ran in tandum with the £1 note until they withdrew the £1 note in 1987/1988. The £1 has been a great success although 1% (about 1 Million) of them in circulation are fakes suprisingly enough.

I just think it's odd that the US mint haven't decided "balls lets withdraw the $1 note regardless" considering the fact they now must cost more to manufacture than what they're face value is now surely. Also I have heard that they have stopped making new $2 notes is this true?

What the USA copy Europe? Unthinkable... :ninja:

Ha the fake £1 coins, yeah there was a period when they seemed to outnumber the genuine article!

Most interesting thing since George V Florins in change, ha 1991 was a good year.

I think you're right about the 25p, Sovereigns & half sovereigns I'm not sure, seeing as they still make them. However I'm very sure the Double Florin isn't it was only minted for 5 years before they decided to stop minting them. I also think it became non legal tender before the £sd system was abolished.

It is very blurred quite what is legal and what is not. Sovereigns and half sovereigns are definately legal tender for £1 and 50p respectively.

Double Florins (according to Coincraft) were remonetised (to 20p) in 1971 [that's if they'd ever been demonetised in the first place of course?]. Of course the Royal Mint's view on that may differ.

The 1971 coinage act also redenominated the Maundy Money from Old pence into New Pence (including post-1840s wreath reverse silver threepences as they are difficult to tell apart). Not bad, how many coins go up in value?

The jury is still out on 5/- pieces.

What the USA copy Europe? Unthinkable... :ninja:

Ha the fake £1 coins, yeah there was a period when they seemed to outnumber the genuine article!

There's still quite a few of them around, you get alot off of Off-Licences (Liquor stores) or (mainly) from British Rail.

Sadly someone has mastered how to copy one of the bridge designs, my brother got his first fake one a few weeks ago. I have seen so many now I can tell the difference between the fake & real by two tell tale signs:

1) The inscription is usually really poor on the side of the coin

2) The head / tail side don't usually match up. Instead of ↑↑ it's usually ↑→ on the fakes

It is very blurred quite what is legal and what is not. Sovereigns and half sovereigns are definately legal tender for £1 and 50p respectively.

Double Florins (according to Coincraft) were remonetised (to 20p) in 1971 [that's if they'd ever been demonetised in the first place of course?]. Of course the Royal Mint's view on that may differ.

The 1971 coinage act also redenominated the Maundy Money from Old pence into New Pence (including post-1840s wreath reverse silver threepences as they are difficult to tell apart). Not bad, how many coins go up in value?

The jury is still out on 5/- pieces.

Interesting, although the Sovereigns and half sovereigns usually trade for collectors more than anything and brand new ones go for around £100 & £50 each respectively(sp)

Interesting, although the Sovereigns and half sovereigns usually trade for collectors more than anything and brand new ones go for around £100 & £50 each respectively(sp)

Well yeah that goes without saying, you'd be mad to spend a sovereign as a £1 coin. Should you be mad enough to try though the person on the till would have to accept it. Although somehow i doubt they'd require much persuasion. :ninja:

I also have a theory that vending machines would accept sovereigns as 50p coins based on weight. Although the metallic signature would be wrong but it depends on the vending machine of course and how it detects the coins going in. If only i was rich enough to try it out.

I've seen some with correct alignment, albeit somewhat blurred details.

I'm building myself a nice date set of duds.

Yes that's the other thing as well they're either blurred or have "extra" details :ninja:

I must have about 9 duds lying around somewhere, some I've spent at the Off-Licence or British Rail station it came from in the first place ;)

Yes that's the other thing as well they're either blurred or have "extra" details :ninja:

I must have about 9 duds lying around somewhere, some I used mainly at the Off-Licence or British Rail station it came from in the first place ;)

Always train stations! I had noticed that. (Or taxi drivers apparently). Bus drivers know better though.

Well yeah that goes without saying, you'd be mad to spend a sovereign as a £1 coin. Should you be mad enough to try though the person on the till would have to accept it. Although somehow i doubt they'd require much persuasion. :ninja:

I also have a theory that vending machines would accept sovereigns as 50p coins based on weight. Although the metallic signature would be wrong but it depends on the vending machine of course and how it detects the coins going in. If only i was rich enough to try it out.

i don't know though some of the staff in the shops (best not to name a particular chain for legal reasons) in the UK are a bit thick they'd probably think it was a funny coloured 10p coin or the like ;)

Most machines that I'm familiar with have size as the first condition, followed by metallic content. Weight is probably the least important factor, and the considerable difference in size would throw it off right away.

That brings up another endless topic, why introduce a 2c coin when there's so much talk about axing the 1c coin?

Well, what you gonna ax the penny? You gonna ax him fo change fo a dollah? Pennies can't answer no questions. Whuffo you tryin to talk to pennies fo?

Ahaha, sometimes I crack my ownself up.

Archived