CoinPeople.com

This is why we don't need new coins/currency

bustchaser

Very interesting reading regarding the £2. I'd have to say I probably see 10 £1 coins for every £2 I see among coins brought back from vacations, etc. I usually just thought that was just people spending the higher denominations before they leave, but now it seems like there's more to it...

BTW, I know that the £50 is hard to spend, but you guys are suggesting that the £20 is also tough?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The £20 is not a problem, it's accepted almost everywhere. The only time people grumble is when change is short, or when a £20 note is used to buy a pack of chewing gum or something.

Bus drivers and train/tram conductors on the other hand hate them, in fact they hate notes in general, simply because the more notes they're given in a day the more change they have to give out and i've seen instances where they've run out and been unable to let passengers on because they can't give them correct change!

Other than that though twenties are readily accepted. I personally don't like them, the only reason being is that i lost one in the past, blew away or something, who knows... thus i'd much rather have two tens, it's better to lose a ten than a twenty.

Although from what i've seen in shops most of the notices advising shop assistance to be aware of forgeries starting with certain serial numbers they tend to be mostly £10 notes!

Fivers are annoying, so grotty, it's two low a denomination for a note really, they wear out far too fast. Back in 2003 they introduced the new design fivers with better paper because the last issue just wasn't wearing well in day to day use. Unfortunately it seems the much improved fivers are still getting grotty quite quickly. I haven't had a nice one in a while.

As for fifties, fifties are about as popular as $2 bills in the states. To get one you have to go to a bank, to get rid of one you have to go to the bank. I have spent one once, but only because i was actually paying fifty pounds for something.

How to tell if a fifty has actually been in circulation (apart from creases etc.) is that the edges of the note will have little tears in it. They tear them to make sure they're real, at least that what the person who accepted mine told me. It did explain why i've seen a few with tears in!

Only Scotland has the £1 note,

Yes, but Scotland is a fairly large chunk of the UK and the £1 note still circulates there even though the £1 coin has been around as an alternative / additional means of exchange for 23 years now. With the ever decreasing value of the £1 in purchasing terms I would not be surprised to fing the £1 note disappearing from currency useage. It has a diminishing popularity with shoppers. However until the popularity dies completely I can't see the RBofS missing out on producing them anytime soon.

In regards to £50 notes they are mainly an inconvenience as it means you have to give back alot of change, a lot of people look surprised when seeing one as well. There was also a time in the late 90's when alot of fake ones were bashing about, apparently.

In regards to £20 notes it's the most common forged note out there, which is why it is the oldest of that style of note, the £50 has yet to catch up with the new design.

As for the £1 Note is Scotland it rarely makes it down south & we don't have to accept them in England (in fact they may not be legal tender in England). Scotland has three, yes three, banknote manufacturers (In order of most common to least): Royal Bank Of Scotland, Bank Of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank. The continuation of the £1 note is a bit bizzare, however in some commonwealth regions that have/had the pound (bermuda, Isle of Man, etc) they had a 50p not which although they used to have one pre decimal (10 shillings note) to have a decimal 50p note is a strange thing to me at least.

Personally I would like to see the £5 note go, these new ones seem to be in a worse stat than the old ones they replaced. Thing is alot of people object as they feel a perminate circulation one would be crown sized.

This will most probably not be the case & either a thick seven sided or a round coin which will be sized in between the £1 & £2 coin will be released. However only time will tell, perhaps the Royal Mint is waiting for the outcome of whether the UK joins the Euro or not.

Another thing abotu £1 coins & shopkeepers is that my theory at least is that they know that there is so many fake £1 coins out there they we would rather give them as change so that they don't have keep them. Sometimes I'm sure they sneak some in as well as I recieved two fake ones, which were the exact same year, both had the same die faults, same dodgy alingment & dodgy gold colour. Luckily I had to travel on British Rail the next day so they coped them instead :ninja:

As for the £1 Note is Scotland it rarely makes it down south & we don't have to accept them in England (in fact they may not be legal tender in England).

Strictly speaking, they are not legal tender at all. The BoE notes are legal tender in England and Wales, but not in Scotland. The paper money issued by Scottish (and Northern Irish) banks is not legal tender in any part of the UK, but practically that does not cause any problems, it seems. :ninja:

As far as I know, the BoE £1 note was legal tender in Scotland too, but not the higher denominations. So the only unlimited legal tender in Scotland is ... the pound sterling coins.

Christian

Strictly speaking, they are not legal tender at all. The BoE notes are legal tender in England and Wales, but not in Scotland. The paper money issued by Scottish (and Northern Irish) banks is not legal tender in any part of the UK, but practically that does not cause any problems, it seems. :ninja:

As far as I know, the BoE £1 note was legal tender in Scotland too, but not the higher denominations. So the only unlimited legal tender in Scotland is ... the pound sterling coins.

Christian

....let's settle for the fact that the `UK' is a funny place full of contradictions. :-)

It actually consists of two countries (Scotland and England), part of another (Northern Ireland), and a principality (Wales). It is not as `united' as the name implies (as demonstrated by the paper currencies), but it's a lot more `united' than `disunited' (I think).

However, for the sake of clarity....the UK is NOT just another name for `England', much to the chagrin of many englishmen who no longer have a £1 note. ;-)

Ian

....let's settle for the fact that the `UK' is a funny place full of contradictions. :-)

It actually consists of two countries (Scotland and England), part of another (Northern Ireland), and a principality (Wales). It is not as `united' as the name implies (as demonstrated by the paper currencies), but it's a lot more `united' than `disunited' (I think).

However, for the sake of clarity....the UK is NOT just another name for `England', much to the chagrin of many englishmen who no longer have a £1 note. ;-)

Ian

Hey You cheeky so & so ;):ninja: Not all of us English ignore the fact that Scotland & Wales exist... and er Northern Ireland ;);)

To be honest I don't think it's a bad thing that Scotland & Northern Ireland do their own notes although still find the £1 Scottish note rather strange considering two of the three banks the print Scottish banknotes withdrew their quite a few years ago.

I think it's a shame personally that Scotland & Northern Ireland Don't do their own coins, it would be interesting to see what they come up with for the desings, Wales would be interesting to see as well for both notes & coins.

Hey You cheeky so & so ;):ninja: Not all of us English ignore the fact that Scotland & Wales exist... and er Northern Ireland ;);)

To be honest I don't think it's a bad thing that Scotland & Northern Ireland do their own notes although still find the £1 Scottish note rather strange considering two of the three banks the print Scottish banknotes withdrew their quite a few years ago.

Not so strange, it comes down to being a profitable advertising gimmick on the part of RBS that keeps their name in your wallet or pocket. I have actively collected Scottish banknotes since 1997, and there has been talk since 1989 about RBS getting rid of the quid.

As for legal tender in Scotland, it used to be BOE 10/- and £1 notes only. Nothing else. Now just £1 coins and minor coins up to small amounts.

I think it's a shame personally that Scotland & Northern Ireland Don't do their own coins, it would be interesting to see what they come up with for the desings, Wales would be interesting to see as well for both notes & coins.

That the design of the UK £1 changes yearly to represent a different country of the UK is a good thing.. For example from 1983 we have seen arms (joint), thistle (scotland), leek (wales), flax (ireland), oak (england)...etcetera.

I particularly like the emblems of 1994,5,6,7 and the recent bridges themes. Allows us all to have our `own' coins that circulate nationally.

That the design of the UK £1 changes yearly to represent a different country of the UK is a good thing.. For example from 1983 we have seen arms (joint), thistle (scotland), leek (wales), flax (ireland), oak (england)...etcetera.

I particularly like the emblems of 1994,5,6,7 and the recent bridges themes. Allows us all to have our `own' coins that circulate nationally.

I liked the Firth of Forth design, but never ever got one. :ninja:

I liked the Firth of Forth design, but never ever got one. :ninja:

Fear not, I have one spare from circulation in the early days of its issue (aUnc it must be by definition). I remember you mentioning wanting a couple but the ones that i've since come across in circulation are pretty naff and well worn.

Agreed the £1 is my second favourite modern British coin (behind the 20p) for the many varying designs, my favourite were the 1994-2002 emblem design.

I do like the bridges series, however personally I would have prefered (sp) if they had chosen these instead (link to page so as to not slow loading times):

http://www.24carat.co.uk/2004poundcoinpatterns.html

These are genuine designs (they are listed in the Spink catalogue) and I personally favour these to the current design, shame they never got used :ninja:

I do like the bridges series, however personally I would have prefered (sp) if they had chosen these instead (link to page so as to not slow loading times):

http://www.24carat.co.uk/2004poundcoinpatterns.html

These are genuine designs (they are listed in the Spink catalogue) and I personally favour these to the current design, shame they never got used :ninja:

These are new to me. I don't particularly follow modern coins these days having lost interest in the low relief and even lower quality artistry. However I agree that these patterns are quite `striking' (pardon the poor pun).

There is always a slight chance that these patterns may yet find their way into service after 2007......

Ian

These are new to me. I don't particularly follow modern coins these days having lost interest in the low relief and even lower quality artistry. However I agree that these patterns are quite `striking' (pardon the poor pun).

There is always a slight chance that these patterns may yet find their way into service after 2007......

Ian

Depends really, the only problem with the £1 coins in this country is that when they bring out a new series they do the set twice, personally I would like them to do a series once & do a new series thereafter

I have to admit I do like some of the £2 coin designs.. just recently arrived in Scotland for school and got a decent shape 60th anniversery of the end of WWII coin that I kept... also got an Isle of Man pound coin!

That is the best one that design would have suited for an every year coin

Archived