CoinPeople.com

Round 4 - Ancient - Group 1

Which do you prefer?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Celts
    • Alexander III

No slight meant to the other finalists, but that Celtic piece is probably the finest work of art left in the competition. Despite being derivative of other coins, the Celtic celators took the designs to new levels and created a uniquely Celtic art form. Beautiful coin.

No slight meant to the other finalists, but that Celtic piece is probably the finest work of art left in the competition. Despite being derivative of other coins, the Celtic celators took the designs to new levels and created a uniquely Celtic art form. Beautiful coin.

If this competition has taught me anything it is that beauty degfinitely lies in the eyes of the beholder, and that there is no accounting for taste (especially when it differs from mine) :lol:

Carlsburg lager is marketed as being `probably' the best lager in the world. People who prefer a different `taste' (and those who market other lagers) can and do argue quite validly to the contrary.

You obviously admire the abstract more than you admire a coin where the detailing is so good that you can nigh on count the whiskers on the snout of the Nemean Lion that Heracles is `wearing'. Each to their own I say. :ninja:.

If this competition has taught me anything it is that beauty degfinitely lies in the eyes of the beholder, and that there is no accounting for taste (especially when it differs from mine) :lol:

We share so many tastes in good coins, its good that we differ once in awhile! :cry:

Look at those curls and that smile! Can you really compare them to lion whiskers? :ninja:

We share so many tastes in good coins, its good that we differ once in awhile! :lol:

Look at those curls and that smile! Can you really compare them to lion whiskers?  :ninja:

My point entirely my dear chap. The Armorican HAS no `detail' worthy of comparison. The die cutter just simply wan't up to it. :cry:

You see a smile? It is easy to get carried away here, but actually, I get drawn to the fact that the subject is depicted as having only one eye, and a large one at that. A Cyclops. It's retro. the Greeks had overcome the inability to get the eyes right some 450 years earlier.

I suppose that i'm just not looking at the coin properly. Maybe if I screw my eyes up and observe the coin from an angle of 30 degrees and from 10 paces that I will be able to see the constellation of Aquarius twinkle in the subjects rather large eye......... Nope, that doesn't work for me either. ;-)

What I see in the Armorican is underdeveloped technique in the depiction of animate objects. There is little else to actually see beyond that. Sorry. Nil points for originality as far as i'm concerned.

My point entirely my dear chap. The Armorican HAS no `detail' worthy of comparison. The die cutter just simply wan't up to it.  :lol:

:ninja: Touché

(Picasso must drive you nuts!)

I suppose that i'm just not looking at the coin properly. Maybe if I screw my eyes up and observe the coin from an angle of 30 degrees and from 10 paces that I will be able to see the constellation of Aquarius twinkle in the subjects rather large eye......... Nope, that doesn't work for me either.  ;-)

Exactly! See those links about perspective were helpful :ninja:

Exactly!  See those links about perspective were helpful :ninja:

Hey, we already know what you see when you stare into the flames...... :lol:

Out of all the different coins I have seen (or been referred to) concerning `viewing angles / perception / perspective' only one has truly been the subject of some wonder for me. That was a coin from South Arabia which viewed face on is just a couple of blobs but when viewed obliquely the blobs form a distinct bust. The probabilities of that happening by chance rather than by design are rather remote. However, one swallow does not a summer make. Besides, the coin from South Arabia is not `Celtic'.

You like it that much? Just goes to show we're all different, i don't like it.

You like it that much? Just goes to show we're all different, i don't like it.

Yes, prehistoric art is my archaeological specialty and many of the Celtic artists of the time were true masters of abstraction. From my perspective, these are beautiful examples of Celtic art and Jorg's is an excellent example of that coin type. Its one that i would have bought had it come my way. Then again, I'm attracted to a lot of odd things. Who else would buy Merovingian silver deniers!

Archived