CoinPeople.com

Take a look at this!

alexbq2

If I remember correctly, american engineer Champny traveled all over the place promoting his new technology for creating dies directly from coins. When he was demonstrating the technology at SPB Mint he happened to have with him the italian coin portrait side die that matched in size with 20 kopeks.

Below is how it is listed with interesting comment under #43 in a book of

Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich

"Description and images of some rare coins from my collection"

Silver Jeton 1863 (minted in 1876), weight 4.88 gr

Obverse: ......

Reverse:.......

To get precise data on backfround of this coin I (Grand Duke) asked the Chief of SPB Mint Nikolai Pavlovich Follendorf and I received from him the following:

The silver jeton depicted an Italian King Victor-Emanuel, from other side Russian State Arm, was struck at SPB Mint by a citizen of North-American States, engineer George Champney from Boston.

It was struck at the following circumstances: in April 1876, enginner G Champney asked Minister of Finance about his invention to apply his new way of producing the coin dies; the steel dies can be prepared by one strike on steel not only by hardened master die but as well as from silver, gold and copper planchets; this method, tested on SPB, brought positive result; in addition, G Champney decided to prove that the ability of transitioning them to the common planchet; for that, he picked from Mint dies the one made by the Hamburg medallist Lorenso, being on duty at SPB at that time, a die of 20 kopeks.; this die (20 kopeks), was not approved because of its large relief of State Arm, but indeed by this reason this die was picked by G Champney, to prove that from his silver planchet, the die can be made with more deep relief; for other side, G Champney used a die with portrait of King Victor-Emanuel, prepared by him abroad from coin one lira; by the end of an experiment, this silver jeton, located now in your possesion (GD), the die of which made by him from silver planchet was destroyed, and a die with Victor -Emanuel returned to him back (to G Champney).

Pls excuse if translation is not clear enough, tried with limited time (one-kuna) :ninja:

My question is how we should call works of George Champney.

My opinion we should call - Trial coin with combinations of two dies, not “Jeton”

Some bodies have different opinion?

My question is how we should call works of George Champney.

My opinion we should call - Trial coin with combinations of two dies, not “Jeton”

Some bodies have different opinion?

I join to the Grand Duke version that it cannot be called a coin as there is no value on it - therefore - trial silver jeton :ninja:

Below is how it is listed with interesting comment under #43 in a book of

Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich

"Description and images of some rare coins from my collection"

Silver Jeton 1863 (minted in 1876), weight 4.88 gr

Obverse: ......

Reverse:.......

To get precise data on backfround of this coin I (Grand Duke) asked the Chief of SPB Mint Nikolai Pavlovich Follendorf and I received from him the following:

The silver jeton depicted an Italian King Victor-Emanuel, from other side Russian State Arm, was struck at SPB Mint by a citizen of North-American States, engineer George Champney from Boston.

It was struck at the following circumstances: in April 1876, enginner G Champney asked Minister of Finance about his invention to apply his new way of producing the coin dies; the steel dies can be prepared by one strike on steel not only by hardened master die but as well as from silver, gold and copper planchets; this method, tested on SPB, brought positive result; in addition, G Champney decided to prove that the ability of transitioning them to the common planchet; for that, he picked from Mint dies the one made by the Hamburg medallist Lorenso, being on duty at SPB at that time, a die of 20 kopeks.; this die (20 kopeks), was not approved because of its large relief of State Arm, but indeed by this reason this die was picked by G Champney, to prove that from his silver planchet, the die can be made with more deep relief; for other side, G Champney used a die with portrait of King Victor-Emanuel, prepared by him abroad from coin one lira; by the end of an experiment, this silver jeton, located now in your possesion (GD), the die of which made by him from silver planchet was destroyed, and a die with Victor -Emanuel returned to him back (to G Champney).

Pls excuse if translation is not clear enough, tried with limited time (one-kuna) :ninja:

Thank you for this article. I was wandering why this jetton/trial had Victor Emanuel on it. I thought maybe St Petersburg mint was striking coins for Italy at that time.

b1731.jpg

Lot 275 from this auction: http://rusnumismat.ru/index.php?mod=auction

Wow! Very interesting specimen. Would this be considered a 'mule'? If so, I've never seen one with opposing patterns from two different countries before. In either case, thanks for sharing this.

I join to the Grand Duke version that it cannot be called a coin as there is no value on it - therefore - trial silver jeton :ninja:

With combinations of the dies from 2 coins?

Links from Wikipedia

1)Jeton: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:BS-RS...=clnk&gl=us

2}Mule(coin): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_(coin)

With combinations of the dies from 2 coins?

Links from Wikipedia

1)Jeton: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:BS-RS...=clnk&gl=us

2}Mule(coin): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_(coin)

I was expecting this question, - in all respects to the G Champney - it was an experiment only to prove the process itself, and as an action tool was taken two coin dies, however as a result of experiment - a trial piece (jeton) was made :ninja:

I wouldn't go further in order to define if this one neither coin or jeton

since I did not have it, I do not have it now and will not have it in the nearest future :ninja:

• 2 months later...

Very nice Highlights coins for any Russian Collection .Missing in Major Collections .First time mule coin was sold in 1910 Hess sale /Tolstoy Collection/ .

Archived