CoinPeople.com

Is this really MS-63?

bobh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that NGC didn't grade coins with graffiti? :ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280216216520

Besides the graffiti, it seems to have a fair degree of wear.

If you are a member, u can check on the grade using the number. But you are absolutely right about your observations. Could be a fake capsule. I've heard this happens from time to time.

Let me say first ive been lucky once or twice with Mr Flying Bostonian,

but this guy really plays the "slab-it-up" game for all its worth.

He seems to send coins out for slabbing/grading, then he lists them on ebay WITHOUT a photo, once he knows the grade ahead of time. Then the listing sits on ebay for days while the slabs are returned, and we only get to see the actual coin towards the end of the listing time. Very frustrating. ;);)

Anyone else notice this, or am i going nutty? (squirrel humor.....) :ninja:

He seems to send coins out for slabbing/grading, then he lists them on ebay WITHOUT a photo, once he knows the grade ahead of time. Then the listing sits on ebay for days while the slabs are returned, and we only get to see the actual coin towards the end of the listing time. Very frustrating. ;);)

he does sell plastic, but this coin is very nice.

Very precise observation. The coin is definetely not in MS, IMHO.

The coin is real, not a fake slab. Those who wants to see better pictures may find them on Heritage web site, auction 440, lot 51767. I think the coin is NOT nice and extremely overgraded. IMHO.

WCO

Also, the pictures posted in the EBay listing are heavily "enhanced".

The coin is real, not a fake slab. Those who wants to see better pictures may find them on Heritage web site, auction 440, lot 51767. I think the coin is NOT nice and extremely overgraded. IMHO.

WCO

Hi,

Yes, its former Heritage coin, and this coin was listed before, by this seller, and did not get "BUY IT NOW" price that time, and now its on action again.

BTW I won't buy "numbered" coin.

I think coins looks OK for MS63, and really nice, but "17" really makes its ugly, sucks...

GHV

I've never bought any numbered coins, although I tried (but lost). I sort of thought you could just wash it off with a bit of soap and water (not while it is in the slab). I'm curious to know if that is not so, and if it is doable why didn't the seller do that prior to slabbing?

I've never bought any numbered coins, although I tried (but lost). I sort of thought you could just wash it off with a bit of soap and water (not while it is in the slab). I'm curious to know if that is not so, and if it is doable why didn't the seller do that prior to slabbing?

This coin slabbed by other person-X, not by this seller...

Probably person who actually send this coin to NGC tried to do some "cleanings" or so...

Good idea but not easy to make it happen

GHV

Some coins have such numbers written on them in old ink. I think that sometimes collectors (museums?) were in the habit of applying the inked numbers. Others (like Count Hutten-Czapski or Gregory Lisenko) were in the habit of punching their own personal countermarks into their coins. Modern collectors might recoil in horror at such a practice, but earlier collectors did not. Certainly the Grand Duke was quite willing to acquire Hutten-Czapski's countermarked Russian coins for his own collection.

I do not know if the inked numbers can be removed. Possibly they might dissolve in acetone, but then they might leave behind untoned areas on the coin where the ink once was. I'm not sure if that would be any better.

Some coins have such numbers written on them in old ink. I think that sometimes collectors (museums?) were in the habit of applying the inked numbers. Others (like Count Hutten-Czapski or Gregory Lisenko) were in the habit of punching their own personal countermarks into their coins. Modern collectors might recoil in horror at such a practice, but earlier collectors did not. Certainly the Grand Duke was quite willing to acquire Hutten-Czapski's countermarked Russian coins for his own collection.

I do not know if the inked numbers can be removed. Possibly they might dissolve in acetone, but then they might leave behind untoned areas on the coin where the ink once was. I'm not sure if that would be any better.

All in all, I do not understand why some members dislike this coin so much -- I have seen them sell stuff on ebay of much worse quality :ninja: Could be some unhealthy competition issue? :-)

Thank you for the pictures grivna. I really need to learn how to use internet... Now I absolutely love the coin! Hard to find this type in a much better condition. Some softness of strike is characteristic for the type. Have no problem with the overall grade, but still wonder whether it is a normal NGC practice to grade inked coins now. As to the number, it makes the coin somewhat more intriguing to me, because it provides a way to trace its story, if lucky. None of the above should be interpreted, however, as the approval of the insane price this common ruble will prabaly command on ebay.

...Some softness of strike is characteristic for the type...

Softness of strike does not justify this high grade IMHO.

... As to the number, it makes the coin somewhat more intriguing to me, because it provides a way to trace its story, if lucky. ...

Are you starting to number your coins as well ? :ninja:

All in all, I do not understand why some members dislike this coin so much -- I have seen them sell stuff on ebay of much worse quality :ninja:

I agree. I like the coin as well.

Could be some unhealthy competition issue? :-)

It is puzzling, isn't it? Supposedly, slabs are good because you know whether you have a nice coin or junk (or so I am told). This one is slabbed, has an unusually high grade assigned, yet slab advocates dump all over it and say it is junk. Why? ;)

Maybe it would be a better coin if someone else was selling it? ;)

Thank you for the pictures grivna. I really need to learn how to use internet... Now I absolutely love the coin! Hard to find this type in a much better condition. Some softness of strike is characteristic for the type. Have no problem with the overall grade, but still wonder whether it is a normal NGC practice to grade inked coins now. As to the number, it makes the coin somewhat more intriguing to me, because it provides a way to trace its story, if lucky. None of the above should be interpreted, however, as the approval of the insane price this common ruble will prabaly command on ebay.

I wonder if any of the people knocking the coin own a better example of this type.

As I said, coin is really nice, and looks like grade also fair. Just "17" makes it not perfect.

Recently on Gorniy action similar coin, same date, but MS64 sold out for about 4k which is really good price for today's crazy market. I believe ms63 should go up to 3k. (IF buyer does not care about "pencil" mark).

Will see it soon...

GHV

Ink itself may be easily removed with MS-70 cleaner. Often under the ink there are scratches left by ink pen, i.e. graffity. I used to clean several such coins in the past, they all had more or less graffity. Person, who did the grading of the coin did the right thing by not trying to clean off the ink. Most likely there is graffity under it and coin would not be slabbed at all. Ink hides graffity so coin is in the slab now. It has large areas of weak strike at 2-5 o'clock on reverse (and cortresponding yet not that ugly looking area on obverse) plus rider is half gone. IMHO.

WCO

I regularly check this seller's inventory and I have noticed the same thing. Very often the pictures are not posted until the very end of the auction.

As a matter of fact I was unable to bring up the pictures today. There is a statement that the pictures will be posted at a later time.

Quote:

КАРТИНКИ: Картинки добавлю в течении 1-2 суток с момента начала аукциона.

IMAGES: Images will be added within 1-2 days from the auction start.

I regularly check this seller's inventory and I have noticed the same thing. Very often the pictures are not posted until the very end of the auction.

As a matter of fact I was unable to bring up the pictures today. There is a statement that the pictures will be posted at a later time.

Quote:

КАРТИНКИ: Картинки добавлю в течении 1-2 суток с момента начала аукциона.

IMAGES: Images will be added within 1-2 days from the auction start.

What advantage does the seller gain by delaying the posting of pictures? ;)

It seems improbable that people will bid generously on a coin they cannot see. :ninja:

What advantage does the seller gain by delaying the posting of pictures? ;)

It seems improbable that people will bid generously on a coin they cannot see. :ninja:

he starts the auction even before he get the coin back from NGC -- I think speed of the turnaround of capital is the cause.

Archived