CoinPeople.com

Coins on coins?

gxseries

Something to wonder about... Some country features older coins on recent commemorative coins. I know that some of the Soviet and Polish coins have done this, but I don't know if any other countries have done anything like this.

An example that I have at the moment is:

901784.jpg

(pardon me, this is actually a medal, I just couldn't find an image of my other coins right now :ninja: )

Do you know any other coins that feature something like this? ;)

Something to wonder about... Some country features older coins on recent commemorative coins. I know that some of the Soviet and Polish coins have done this, but I don't know if any other countries have done anything like this. Do you know any other coins that feature something like this? :ninja:

The 2003 Austrian €25 coin (Silver /Niobium bi-metallic) commemorating Hall mint goes one better by featuring a coin die. One of my favourite modern coins.

Yes, I like the "coins on coins" theme, and have quite a few such pieces. Here are a couple that come to my mind; there are many more of course ...

Germany 10 DM 1998 "50 years Deutsche Mark" (shows various DM coins)

Switzerland 20 Fr 1998 - actually two pieces, "Helvetian Republic 1798-1998" and "Swiss Confederation 1848-1998".

Belgium 5 ecu 1987-88 (Treaties of Rome) feat. a coin showing Charles V

GDR (East G.) 10 M 1981 "700 years of minting in Berlin" (Ewiger Pfennig)

Austria has quite a few of those ...

500 S 1985 "2000 years Bregenz" (with a Roman denarius, Emp. Tiberius)

1000 S 1994 "800 yrs Vienna Mint"

100 S 1995 "First Republic"

50 S 1999 "Introduction of the Euro" (shows euro notes)

100 S 2000 "Austrian History" (Celtic coin with Prince Adnamati)

50 S 2001 "Farewell to the Schilling" (various ATS coins)

Other modern commems have city seals on them. Those often resemble old coins :-)

Christian

2000 Germany 50 Years of DDR Coinage Medal Prooflike

Tut-tut. That thing, if issued in 2000, came out ten years after the end of the GDR. :ninja:

It seems to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first "Deutsche Mark" coins which were first issued in 1950 (Federal Republic) and 1956 (GDR). The GDR later (1972-90) used the word "Mark" only, but the reverse of the first series does indeed look like a cheap copy of our coins ...

Christian

An example that I have at the moment is:

901784.jpg

(pardon me, this is actually a medal, I just couldn't find an image of my other coins right now :ninja: )

Do you know any other coins that feature something like this? ;)

I distinctly see a Ukrainian Tryzub on that "Russian" coin ;)

The 2500th anniversary of city of Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi in Ukraine coin has several coins on the obverse that circulated in Bil-Dnis over the last 2500 yrs.

There's a Hungarian coin with an image of a denier of St.Stephen. I actually have the original and the new. I discivered this by accident sicne the new was a birth year set addition.

If I have the pics I'll upload them later.

I'd really like to see those...

the last 10 gulden coin that was made, is made in 1999.. KM# numbers were in the 200 range by then.

Here in the Netherlands, we've got a few companies who sell tokens / medals to commemorate anything they can think of, and in their adds, they make it sound they're officeial commems.

I can be that you've seen those, it's very unlikely they're real gulden coins, as none of my dutch catalogs list them

I'd really like to see those...

the last 10 gulden coin that was made, is made in 1999.. KM# numbers were in the 200 range by then.

Here in the Netherlands, we've got a few companies who sell tokens / medals to commemorate anything they can think of, and in their adds, they make it sound they're officeial commems.

I can be that you've seen those, it's very unlikely they're real gulden coins, as none of my dutch catalogs list them

Pardon my slopiness....Netherlands Antilles. (oops)

Yes, they are interesting. I wonder what people in Curacao would say if I tried to pay with those ;-) The 2004 KM (that I have) has one image, that of the "Sulla" piece. In the NVMH "muntalmanak" (I have the 2003 ed.) there is a picture of the Cosimo Il Vecchio coin ...

Christian

Not exactly coins on coins, but the old Iraqi notes had the dinar of Harun al Rashid and the old Afghan notes of the communist regime had a Baktrian coin.

That, then opens the door to coins on banknotes, including my all time favorite for that, the Spanish and Mexican coins on banknotes from North America.

http://scoan.oldnote.org/index.htm

Archived