CoinPeople.com

Attaching thumbnails ...

I can click it and view the same picture, same size, in a full IE window. I cannot enlarge or manipulate the picture in any way.

Nope, not a Mac thing, I get the same on a Windows PC, running Firefox:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; nl-NL; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050919 Firefox/1.0.7

Can't really remember when I started seeing this, whether it was yesterday (friday may 26th) or today (saturday may 27th). Initially thought it was due to my computer, but rebooting it didn't help.

Have rebooted several times since and I still get the same stuff when clicking an attachment.

Will try IE now.....

On IE I get to see te same picture as shown in the original post. However, I don't know what the original size of teh attachement was....

Nope, not a Mac thing, I get the same on a Windows PC, running Firefox

To some extent I feel relieved :ninja: but not really.

My default browser is Safari; tried this with Firefox and iCab as well, and always got this error. The size of the original image was very small, something like 5K (just used this tiny pic for testing purposes). But I get the same effect with thumbnails where the original image is larger - the only difference is that the row of odd characters will be longer ...

Christian

What format is the original full size file? Does it have an appropriate extension?

If you move the cursor across the thumbnail, you should (well, that may depend on the browser again :ninja: ) get that info. In my case (post #1) it was "imgtest.jpg", size 2.29K - yours (post #9) is "av_5.jpg", size 23.74K ...

Christian

Well, it was not a space issue.

Thanks for trying it out anyway. Guess that, had it been space related, the IE users would have had the same problems. Ah well, cleaning up from time to time cannot hurt anyway. :ninja:

Christian

I got a reply from the ISP. They upgraded the PHP version. The forum software seems to work fine with the new PHP version, except for attachments. They suggested upgrading the forum software, but I'm afraid we'll lose all customizations, like Retro skin etc. I will look into it further.

They suggested upgrading the forum software, but I'm afraid we'll lose all customizations, like Retro skin etc.

That would not be great either. I don't use the retro skin but am well aware that quite a few prefer it, and who knows what "etc." means. :ninja: Now upgrading sounds like extra $$ to me ... In any case, thanks for your "investigation"!

Christian

I work on a Mac and have the same problem, it won't interpret the image as an image. If I drag the image to the desktop, it opens fine as a thumbnail.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

The reason the images are displaying as text is that the server is sending the wrong MIME type (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) for the content.

For web pages this should be set using the HTTP response header

Content-Type: text/html

and for (JPEG) images the HTTP response header

Content-Type: image/jpeg

The server is sending

Content-Type: text/html

for both text and images and Firefox is obeying this and displaying the images as text.

IE is being a bit naughty and not believing the MIME type, but instead inspecting the response and working out the MIME type for itself.

Translation: The web server or webapp software that handles thumbnails has become misconfigured :ninja:

I'm a full time web developer and sysadmin so I should be able to fix this for you. PM me if you need any help.

Regards,

Abe

I'd love to see this fixed.

And if that's not possible without loosing other features (like e.g. retro) I'd suggest to disable the attachement feature, at least until a proper solution is found. I find it quite annoying to have to start Internet Exploder just to see an attachment.

Here is where we stand with attachments right now:

The ISP is not willing to make any changes to the server configuration and they suggest we upgrade to a newer version of the software which fixes the problem. If we upgrade, we will lose "Retro" and other important customizations I implemented over time.

I'm looking into two possible resolutions:

1. Moving to a different ISP, keeping the same software and re-doing all customizations.

2. Moving to a different ISP and using different software.

In both cases, I see a BIG PRUNING coming. :ninja:

The alternative is to stay with the current software version and disable attachments.

Archived