CoinPeople.com

Let me know what you think

regandon

Just got this one today. I know there are some very good Morgan graders on this forum.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=911539

I will post a pic of the coins slab tag after someone gets the grade.

Just got this one today. I know there are some very good Morgan graders on this forum.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=911539

I will post a pic of the coins slab tag after someone gets the grade.

First I'm from Germany. German coincollectors only use G ; VG; F; XF and UNC.

There aren't conditions like MS60 or MS65.

So I'll guess MS60 -

Marvin

Mortyr2012,

Give me a day, and I will take some detailed pictures of the mint state grades MS-60 to MS-67 Morgans for you. I have spent $5,000 on Nikon marco equipment just for coin pics. So it will give me more time using the stuff. I will let you know when I'm done taking the pics. I do like to help out the collectors when I can.

I'm not really into Morgans but I'd say MS65. I cannot see any signs of wear or rubbing. The strike looks strong and I'd guess the mint lustre is super on this coin.

If it's PCGS, NCG, or ANACS, I'd be comfortable with that guess. A few others it may go as high as MS67.

Mortyr2012,

Give me a day, and I will take some detailed pictures of the mint state grades MS-60 to MS-67 Morgans for you. I have spent $5,000 on Nikon marco equipment just for coin pics. So it will give me more time using the stuff. I will let you know when I'm done taking the pics. I do like to help out the collectors when I can.

Wow! 5000 bucks for equipment... I would buy coins for 5000$ :ninja:

Pictures would be great, because I don't understand this US-grading. Maybe somebody can show me some coins to show the difference.

Thank you!

Marvin

Bingo Mark, you got it MS63, but it is DMPL. I do think NGC undergraded it. It has nice clean fields and the cheeks are clean. I will never pass up an 1879-o DMPL when I can find one. NGC states a pop of 86. I do not know if I can trust that number or not. But I do like the returns that one brings.

I was going to say MS64PL, possible DMPL.

It's a very beautiful coin with no real distracting marks. I was drawn to the cheek area right away by how clean and frosty it was. Excellent buy.

Bingo Mark, you got it MS63, but it is DMPL. I do think NGC undergraded it. It has nice clean fields and the cheeks are clean. I will never pass up an 1879-o DMPL when I can find one. NGC states a pop of 86. I do not know if I can trust that number or not. But I do like the returns that one brings.

The background threw me. Looked like it had some "cartwheel" in the picture. Thats why I said proof like.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=910926

This one has less wear over the ear but bag marks on the cheek hurt it. They aren't quite as bad in hand but they still show.

The background threw me. Looked like it had some "cartwheel" in the picture. Thats why I said proof like.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=910926

This one has less wear over the ear but bag marks on the cheek hurt it.  They aren't quite as bad in hand but they still show.

Nice coin Mark. Whats nice about the San Fran minted coins like yours, is that most Morgan strikes were good and strong from that mint. As I said, MOST. The Morgans on a whole were not the best struck series. But when one is found, WOW! New Orleans minted Morgans were.... let's say weakly struck. But when a strong strike is found, they do demand a nice premium price in mint state. New Orleans minted Morgans are the most debated in the series when it comes to grading because of the difference's in striking. Now adding PL and DMPL into the equation and there are higher premiums to be had in stronger struck ones over weaker ones. That is one reason why I will never pass up a common date New Orleans minted Deep Proof Like that is sharply struck. Any PL or DMPL common date is always good to pick up.

There is more to the Morgan series than just buying key dates. Never over look the strong struck and proof like common dates. This post was not directed to you Mark, but to more or less get a little conversation going with other Morgan collectors.

Archived